I went through a similar experience a year ago and you have to slow it down a bit as this is long journey. Your main duty right now is surgery recovery and waiting on your PSA results (sometimes they run one at 6 weeks but 3 month test is the key indicator). IMHO, the last thing you want to do is to have radiation at 6-8 weeks post-op without being in decent shape (physical, urinary) and having PSA and other data to make decisions with.
I/we would love to help more but you have left out some information which is understandable with the anxiety you are now feeling, I remember it well after my post-op phone call about
my positive margin. I will ask a few questions if you don't mind:
1. What was the Gleason score from your original biopsy that led the doctor to think the chance the cancer was not contained was 5%? This is not all that important now but nice to know how you got to this point.
2. Do you have a copy of the surgery pathology report or just going from a telephone call with the doctor? The actual report may have a lot of information in it to help you understand the assessment and answer questions so you should have a copy.
3. Why do you say that the cancer has "spread"? There is a difference between "spread" and "escape the capsule" and "seminal vesicle invasion". We usually think of spread as to adjacent or distant areas. Were there positive lymph nodes involved in the post-op pathology?
4. Have you considered having your prostate pathology slides sent to Johns Hopkins - Dr. Epstein for a second opinion? It is easy to do but you have to make it happen by contacting doctor and requesting it. http://pathology.jhu.edu/department/services/secondopinion.cfm
5. Have you/doctor considered getting genomic testing on a sample of the prostate cancer tissue for assessing risk potential?
6 Have you met with a radiation oncologist (RO) to get opinion on secondary treatment options?
It is important that you get a copy of all your records going forward if you have not. You will be referring to them quite often when studying your situation and answering questions.
My urologist was very clear that we should not be doing anything but surgery recovery until the 3 month PSA results are in and we meet again in person with spouse to discuss options. This was even after my 2nd opinion upgraded my risk status to G9. My signature tells my story and summarizes the key information.
I spent most of the time from a few weeks after surgery to the 3 month mark studying my situation, asking questions, downloading studies, etc whie I recovered. I then met with urologist then RO, went on vacation for a week, and then started the adjuvant radiation IMRT/IGRT process at 5 months post-op for 37 treatments.