I’d get an MRI. My husband ended up as stage T3a . His
Psa in June 2018 was 2.3 . January 2019 PSA was 1.9 , DRE negative.
Paid for an mri out of pocket for ($1200) for peace of mind. It found a PIRADS 4 lesion... rest is history ...
It sounds like your husband did not have years of PSA readings showing an elevation. I don't see a real correlation to my case because if I had cancer when I was 41 with a PSA reading similar to your husband's, I think I'd know about
it now 7 years later.
In some ways I'm glad to have readings back to age 41 as against just getting the 2.5 result now. In my other threads I was told that a generally rising PSA was the greatest concern whereas my readings have bounced around.
I just had a DRE last month performed by my urologist. I'm by no means ruling out seeing him again. I just don't know what else he would have for me at this point as he was not going to prescribe a biopsy even at 3.3 so he wouldn't change his mind now that it's at 2.5 I wouldn't think.
Perhaps I'm taking a chance but with fairly similar readings for 7 years now, I'm inclined to wait 11 months and see where my PSA is at that time. If it's elevated to a new level, I think I'd immediately go back to my urologist at that time.
Thanks for all the input.