BB - yours seems to be a very unusual case. I can't recall reading another story quite like yours w/ your grade and adverse condition. Seems like BCR would have reared it's ugly head far earlier than at the 6 year mark. It will be very interesting to learn what opinion an RO might have and what treatment protocol he or she might recommend, if any. As previously stated, a delayed BCR (as far as BCR's go) can be good news.
I'm curious. Prior to your PSA increase - did you plug your numbers into the Sloan Kettering nomogram? If so, what were the odds of a BCR at 7 or 10 years given your pathology following RP?
My ultra Labcorp PSA tests (Roche) were always <.006 while the ultra PSA tests using the Siemens assay were low but detectable. You can review my signature. Using Siemens my PSA climbed to .03 a couple years following RP then dropped back to .01 and has pretty much stayed there.
Best of luck to you. Retest and go from there. We're rootin' for ya!
Nice of you to ask, TJ! (and my case is indeed a bit strange, isn't it?) Because I had just recently done that nomogram a few months ago, with very promising results! So that I can answer your questions, I just now went back and entered my info as though it was 9 months ago, before my spectacular rise occurred. And here are the results:
odds of remaining BCR free for 7 years: 78%. BCR free at 10 years: 57%.
Odds of 15-Year Prostate Cancer-Specific Survival: 81%.
Not bad at all, IMO. But then my VERY NEXT PSA goes from 0.06 to 0.20! LOL! What are you going to do, life is crazy! However, I have decided that - though I may well get more treatment depending on what retesting shows- unless a doubling time < 15 months is established, I am not going to worry too much about
it. Because unless I get that, according to the study I just linked to, the odds of men who BCR at > 3 years are quite favorable. And I, of course, am at 6 years. That is my thinking at the moment, anyway. We will see what the next 2 tests in the next few weeks show. Though this is not what I wanted to see for my 6 year anniversary, there is one good thing about
it. It has spurred me to research folks that BCR years after RP. And I must amit the results of that research have me feeling somewhat better. Thanks for the good wishes!
Thanks for your thoughts and kind words, Logoslidat!
Duck2, there are plenty of folks who would say I should have had ART early on, not even waiting for much of a rise. And they may be right. I certainly thought that way myself at the beginning, back when Joseph Smith of Vanderbilt gave me my path report over the phone. I realize that was 6 years ago and things change, but his opinion was that evidence did not show improved life span by treating before BCR, or at least a strong trend, had been established. Keep in mind that the BIG rise only just now occurred. Yes, there had been another sudden triple back 2 years ago(after just 3 months!). But then it just sat there- even backed up a bit- for 2 years! That makes no sense for a growing tumor, though anything is possible I'm sure. It just sat there for 2 years until this 2nd explosion yesterday. So until yesterday, my rise was well below BCR, with months and years of little movement, until well past 5 years. So, I guess that is the thinking of a significant # of docs who are treating this disease, that if it doesn't make it to BCR before 3 years, you definitely have some breathing room. Are they right? Who knows! Not me!