I'm here for my dad who is 71 years young. He recently had a biopsy that came back positive with 7 cores positive [3 on the right side that were 6's (3+3's), and then 3 on the left side that were 7's (3+4) and then 1 on the top of the prostate that was a 9 (4+5)].
His latest PSA was a 6.3 (during the biopsy). The doctors can not feel a nodule during a DRE. His MRI came back negative for any signs of cancer near or on the prostate which was really odd, but good in regards to spread (I guess?). Unfortunately, his left lymph node was inflamed slightly.
I was really pushing him towards MaxRT (HDR brachytherapy + IMRT + ADT) due to his Gleason 9, but that may be out of the picture now due to the lymph node involvement and we may have to settle for longer term ADT + IMRT. We're going to get a biopsy done on the lymph node to rule out or confirm the cancer.
We also met a surgeon today who said he could do the RP while removing the lymph nodes, and then if the pathology comes back and when his continence returns (~3 months), we can do radiation via IMRT. He said he can not guarantee he won't have ED, but my dad doesn't care about
that at his age. However, for the urinary continence rates, he said surgery + radiation usually result in about
10% urinary incontinence rates. I thought that number was quite low. He also said something that surprised me, 25% chance of cure with surgery alone and 65% change with surgery + radiation.
I'm not sure if anyone has any advice for my dad's case as I am truly confused by it all. Any words of encouragement or advice would be helpful. He's looking to me to be his advocate.
Thanks in advance.
Post Edited (NiRo) : 7/14/2020 11:42:04 AM (GMT-6)