Posted 8/9/2020 6:05 PM (GMT -6)
Hello fellow forum mates -
I had a lumbar fusion, L5/S1 2002, and got 18 good years out of it (well a little less than that but still hanging in there). Next level up, L4/L5, has been degrading recently. If it never got worse I'd live with it, but I suspect that it will continue if only gradually (presently combating with pain meds after trying PT, cortisone injections, exercise, ...). Surgeon says an L4/L5 fusion (which I believe would solve my problem) will be more complicated, painful, and longer recovery than the first time (which was pretty rough).
In talking with my Uro Oncologist, he says that if I am going to go through a spinal fusion surgery, it should be before I start on Lupron. So far, scans have turned up nothing. My inclination is to hold off on the Lupron until we get scan evidence of PCa (and perhaps radiate a spot or two if that is what turns up rather than a bunch). So I am going through the deliberation of whether I should go into surgery, anticipating that it is prudent to do it sooner than later.
My question - oncologist says that the results of Lupron (osteoporosis) will be problematic for healing. Has anyone out there had similar surgery during or after Lupron? How did it go? If you had a chance prior to Lupron to have that surgery, would you have earlier?