This is pretty lengthy, but I could really use some advice……..
I’ve just started on this board and have made a few posts. Everyone is so helpful and supportive in sharing each other’s experiences with prostate cancer. I have no idea if anyone can give me any pointers, but here goes:
I was diagnosed this past May with prostate cancer. I had my PSA checked in March and it was 24. (On a fluke because I was asymptotic) Because of my age (then 45) we did antibiotics for a month and rechecked the PSA. It went up to 39. We did a biopsy (on my 46th birthday!), and 8 of 12 cores were positive. We did the CT and bone scan, which were fine. I had a conventional retropubic radical prostectomy on June 9. I looked into Davinci, but decided to proceed with my original urologist because we felt time was crucial. Besides, with a PSA of 39, nerve-sparing surgery really was not an option. They don’t do lap RPs in my community yet, but my urologist has an excellent reputation
The pathology came back with a lot of cancer, and a positive margin at the bladder neck. The nodes and seminal vessels were clear.
I’m pretty much recovered from surgery. I feel fine. Continent, I’m getting used to VED for my ED. I’ve had three PSA’s since surgery --- .06, .09 and .04 (in that order). I get it checked again this week.
I’ve looked into adjuvant therapies --- radiation is an obvious option, especially with a positive margin. I know some people do hormone therapy as a preventative measure with high-risk cases. Right now, our mode is watching PSA closely and moving into therapy at the first sign of trouble.
I’m pretty much back to a normal routine--- work, wife, daughter, etc. I’m at high risk for recurrence, but so far no sign of residual disease. I drink pomegranate, eat soy, take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, I also take Nexrutine, eat lots of tomato stuff, avoid dairy and red meat, eat lots of fruits and veggies, regular exercise, and pray. I also have regular follow up check ups with my urologist. I also just made an appointment with an urologist at the University of Michigan for a second opinion, but can’t get in until December.
I could get real lucky and stay fine for 40 years, I could have a local recurrence that gets cured with local radiation, or I could end up with advanced stage disease, which is a different ball game. Of course, I could also get hit by a truck tomorrow.
What I’d like to hear from you folks is your thoughts on the nagging question that I can’t seem to get out of my head: WHAT ELSE SHOULD I BE DOING? I’m not really making myself nuts on this, but I’m trying to do everything I can, within reason, to get the odds more in my favor. Anyone have any suggestions?