Bluebird, Kat, Wickett and all,
Well we went to the radiation doctor and to be blunt I am confused and even more troubled. He reviewed all the facts and one of the first things he said was.... "and we did surgery why?" I told him it was what Dr. A, my "expert" I was referred to suggested. I ask if he was suggesting I should have began with another path and he said.... "well hindsight is 20-20." He then proceeded to explain that radiation at this point would only be a 50-50 proposition. He suggested I think about
a "clinical research" study concerning the use of hormones and chemo. Random sample blind study where 1/2 get hormone and chemo and 1/2 get straight hormone therapy. The study would still allow radiation but it all would be staged per the study. Radiation can't start he said anyhow until at least three months post-surgery.
He went on to say that my .22 PSA and not zeroing out and coming back up is a negative. Means that cancer cells are still in place and may or may not be still in the prostate bed area. He added my cancer is an aggressive type.
We are making an appointment with the oncologist doing the study but I don't know what to do...... If I need hormone and chemo therapies how can I be sure I get both, I don't want to be a guinea pig and not get what I need to lick this. I want to be "cured" not tested and someone to say down the road "boy you should have somethoing else or additional".
I am loking for answers, has anyone else faced this and found solice in their decision? Does the study sound like a good idea..... should I get yet another opinion..... should I just wait and do nothing until the PSA reaches a higher level again..... or ........ ???????? Any ideas Swim?????
Confused and troubled,
Diagnosed Aug. 7, 2006
Biopsy 8 of 10 positive
Negative CTscan, bone scan and lung x-ray
Lapro Prostatectomy 9/7/2006