I've gotten a lot of help from this group in the past, and I appreciate it.
I'm 59. . Last year I had a rise in PSA to 5.4 (history below) , and eventually after
Levaquin and waiting, ended up with a biopsy at the end of March.
Biopsy was part of a clinical trial testing new contrast enhancer for ultrasound directed biopsy.
I went with the trial because it seemed a win-win.
Whatever happened, I got a standard biopsy, with directed biopsies in suspicious areas.
End result of biopsy (with 14 samples, some directed) was "no CA, but in "right
upper transition zone... mild chronic inflamamation consistent with focal
chronic prostatitis. No tumor identified."
Last PSA, a few weeks ago, was 3.9.
Internist's recommendation is 2 weeks Levaquin, wait a few weeks, repeat PSA, and .. hope for
I'm also going to try to get free PSA and complexed PSA, though our lab doesn't do free PSA if PSA is less than 4.0
I believe I read that Dr. Catalona recommend waiting a year between biopsies, but I'm not sure I want to do that.
If the PSA doesn't come down I'll go to a urologist, I"m just trying to prepare myself for next steps.
I"m in the PA area, so, if surgery becomes necessary am thinking of Dr. Tewari in NY, Lee in Philadelphia. Though I personally like Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, I don't know of any prominent specialists there.
Thoughts, comments are appreciated.