What would you do? Any advice?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 11
   Posted 4/10/2007 12:43 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi again all, My husband had his third visit at the cancer hospital yesterday.  He has been taking Casodex for a few weeks now and the doctors say he will take it for 2 more weeks.
  Yesterday we viewed the results of the MRI on his back and we saw he has a fracture and can see the cancer in his spine.  I should state I had posted here before about his having prostate cancer that has spread to his bones. 
 He had a shot yesterday of Lupron(sp)? a hormone, and he also was given an infusion of Zometa. In about 4 weeks he will be getting radiation on his spine, they say it will help with any pain and to stop it from spreading any further, I think that is what they said. 
 Anyway, my husband and I need help in making a decision.  He has been asked if he wants to join in a clinical trial.
  It is ChemoHormonal Therapy versus Androgen Ablation Randomized trail for Extensive Diease Prostate Cancer.  What this is, the purpose of the study is to determine whether giving docetaxel chemotherapy, at the time you are starting hormonal therapy and when the hormonal therapy is no longer working, is more effective than giving it only at the time hormonal therapy is no longer working. 
 So, what do you think?  Any thoughts about this treatment.  Will having the chemo so early in his treatment cause his quality of life to lessen?  Right now he has some discomfort in his back but he looks well and is feeling good.  The trial will have almost 600 people take part in the study, half of which will take the chemo.  Thank you for any advice.  summerblue

Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 2542
   Posted 4/10/2007 1:20 PM (GMT -6)   

Dear ~ Summerblue…. and Loved Ones,


I still see where your honey is looking good and feeling good and this is such a positive because he will have more strength to fight this battle.  And… it is ~ a battle and a battle we are going to fight with you.  Keep reaching out and let us give our support and send our strength to both of you as you move forward.


I’m attaching a link to John *jeb187chs… a very powerful thread…  We haven’t heard from him in awhile but he knows we are here and he knows he continues to be in our thoughts and prayers as he travels his path. 

John ~ Strength in Numbers...

Bluebird (jeb187chs)


This is truly a decision that will be made once you get all the information possible to help you make the right decision for you!!!


Deep within my heart and soul ~ I know we would have to do as you are doing…. Reaching out for any and all help in making this decision.  Getting input from others is a good thing.  It allows you to pull what you need ~ so this is where sharing is so important.  That’s what having options is all about!! 


Will you have an opportunity to talk with any of the 600 who have already made the decision to be part of this trial?  I would do my best to reach out and touch base with them for that extra “help” in understanding.  We all have different ways of understanding things…. And their research may be research that you haven’t touched base on yet. 


Buddy & I have talked about quality ~vs~ quantity… and our thoughts have always stayed on “Quality”.   So ~ dig deep and know that whatever your decision is….. It will be the right decision for you!!!


Our thoughts and prayers surround you constantly “this is very true”….  And we walk with you both as you move forward…

Special Hugs to you both from the 3 of us!


In Friendship ~ Lee, Buddy, & Murphy


(Direct Link ~ just click on the title below and a new window will open!  

Reminder … click on the REFRESH icon once you get there)

Threads by Summerblue: 3-17 cancer has spread to bones 

mama bluebird - Lee & Buddy… from North Carolina

Link to our personal journey…>>>     Our Journey ~ Sharing is Caring 

April 3, 2006  53 on surgery day

RRP / Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy with "wide excision"

PSA 4.6   Gleason  3+3=6    T2a   Confined to Prostate

2nd PSA 02-06-2007 Less than 0.1 Non-Detectable :)

New Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 11
   Posted 4/11/2007 1:27 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks blubird for your thoughts. I guess I am leaning towards going with the trial, I am not sure what my husband feels as he is rather closed off at the moment.
We are having some bad days he and I, I understand he is going through a lot but he keeps so much to himself and when I do try and talk with him he has been really short with me so I am giving him space and waiting for him to deal with this in his own way.
I am hoping if he decides to go with the trial, that he will be one to receive the chemo. I am not sure how they choose who will get chemo and who doesn't. I am still looking into this and was given a number of the doctor doing the trial and I may be calling him soon with many questions.  I am not sure if we will be able to talk to any of the other people who are going with the trial, but I will try to find out if we can.  Thanks also for the link, it sounds like what we are going through.   
I am so glad I found this board and it is very comforting knowing that I am getting insight from people who have gone through similar experiences. When I was at the doctors with my husband this week I was able to ask questions about things I read on this board that I never would have asked had I not come here. My husband will not look into this online, he is scared, I am scared too, but I feel I need to find out everything I can. God Bless you all. summerblue

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 1464
   Posted 4/11/2007 2:27 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey Summerblue,

Sorry you have to be here but, as you have found, this is the place to be for hope, support and information. Your husband's fear and reluctance to talk about it sounds like me when I was first diagnosed. Then we (my wife and I) got some literature from the doc and a list of web sites (this one included). Soon, we started talking about the various options and how each might affect our lives. Then the wall was broken down and we shared everything (hopes, fears, tears) from then on. She was very frank and open with her concerns like sex and continence. These are things that men like to brag about but are really reluctant to talk frankly about. Especially when they are threatened. Not knowing if you will be in daapers for the rest of your life and not ever have another boner scares the h____ out of every man alive.

My suggestion is to be open and honest with him about your fears and hopes. If he clams up, at least he will know what you are thinking and he will think about that. Let him have his space but continually let him know of your love and care for him. Assure him that you will stand with him through whatever happens. Try to dwell on the positive side. My wife and I are much closer than we have ever been in 51 years of marraige as the result of this PCa experience. For the first time, we are standing together and can face anything else that happens.

Good luck and please stay with us...

Age 72. Diagnosed 11/03/06. PSA 7.05. Stage T2B Gleason 3+3.
RRP 12/7/06. Nerves and nodes okay.
Pathological stage: T2B. Gleason 3+4. Cancer confined to prostate.
PSA on 1/3/07 - 0.04. 
PSA on 4/4/07 - 0.00  T level - 48  Restarted T therapy.
Next PSA on 7/11/07.
 "Cancer feeds on fear - starve it to death."

Regular Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 400
   Posted 4/11/2007 4:04 PM (GMT -6)   


I agree with Jim - if your husband will allow it you will become closer than you have ever been - it really is a couples disease.  I guess just try not to lose patience with him and just be there - hopefully he will get tired of fighting his feelings and fears alone.  He may not know it now, but he is very lucky to have you.

Take care and best wishes as you journey.




Diagnosed Feb 2001  (Age 65)  Currently 71
PSA 4.8
Gleason 3 + 3 = 6
Completed Proton therapy @ Loma Linda - Aug 2001
5yr PSA   0.17
Have had no side effects.

New Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 13
   Posted 4/12/2007 6:33 PM (GMT -6)   
Good luck with the choice you and your husband have to make. I found an aggressive Oncologist who treated me with both Chemo and Hormones, then followed up with Radiation.

I was very lucky in that I tolerated the Chemo very well. The Hormones have taken a little more of a toll on me , (tired, weakness, lack of energy, some bone soreness, and a few other minor ailments), but overall very well.

My Oncologist is of the opinion (not proven yet hence the trials) that anything we can do to delay the recurrence of my cancer will give me a better shot at treatments that may be available in the future.

We all have our path to follow, and all you can do is research your options, and make the best choice for you.

I personally, and my Oncologist, wanted all the treatment that I could get- hence no trial for me.

Best to you both

Age 61
7-11-06: PSA Jumps from 2.7 in 2005 to 6
09-06-06: TRUS Gleason 4+5, staged T3
09-21-06: Consults in Austin with Urologist and Oncologist
10-19-06: RPT in Austin
10-21-06: Discharged- post surgery Pathology 4+5 Gleason, T3B,Penetrated Seminal Vesicles and soft tissue, no lympth node involvement positive margins
10-30-06: Catheter Out
11-09-06: Total Body Bone Scan (normal)
11-30-06: PSA <.1
12-07-06: Oncologist treatment begins in Austin
Began Chemo (Taxotere)
Began Hormone Therapy (Lupron IM, Casodex) Two year program
12-10-06: Basically Continent
03-06-07: Radiation Therapy Began

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:16 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,630 posts in 329,243 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161787 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, melzissa.
205 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Gemlin, F8