Another new PC

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 6/27/2007 12:38 PM (GMT -6)   
Recently diagnosed on May 21, 2007.  Doing the research and talking with Urologist and two Radiation Oncologists. I've decided on IMRT for a variety of reasons all in consultation with the MD's.  Urologist now suggesting Hormone shot prior to radiation. RO neutral on this. I would appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with this. 
Diag 5/21/07 Age 65
PSA 7, Gleason 3+4=7
Stage T2b

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 1464
   Posted 6/27/2007 1:55 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Flatrock,

Sorry you have to be going throught this. We are here to help and you are a help to all who read your posts.

Why are the docs recommending hormone shots at this point? Your stage is T2 and usually hormone therapy is started if the cancer has left the prostate capsule. Your stats are like mine were at diagnosis. I chose to have open surgery because I wanted the cancer gone as soon as possible. Now I am extremely glad for that decision because I have low testosterone and am taking shots to elevate it. That would have been impossible if I had radiation. Just another consideration.

Good luck and please stay with us...

Age 72. Diagnosed 11/03/06. PSA 7.05. Stage T2B Gleason 3+3.
RRP 12/7/06. Nerves and nodes okay.
Pathological stage: T2B. Gleason 3+4. Cancer confined to prostate.
PSA on 1/3/07 - 0.04. 
PSA on 4/4/07 - 0.00  T level - 48  Restarted T therapy.
Next PSA on 7/18/07.
 "I have cancer but cancer does not have me."

New Member

Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 6/27/2007 2:17 PM (GMT -6)   
Cancer is confined to prostate. He feels radiation treatment is more effective with hormone injection and also it significantly improves probability of cure. There are side effects to hormones I don't like and I am not inclined to go that way. Just start the IMRT.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 686
   Posted 6/27/2007 4:06 PM (GMT -6)   


MY advice.....STOP and get more information.

The treatment advice you are getting from your doctor is NOT typical for the diagnosis that you have listed.

I am not saying he is wrong, but before you commit to anything I would suggest that you ask more questions and get more answers. From him and from other urologists and oncologists.

I had Davinci surgery and it appears to be  successful, but if I'd had more information I might have considered Proton therapy.

I would not condider IMRT or hormone treatment with your diagnosos.

Have you read the the suggested books?  Do it before you decide!


Biopsy 10/16/06
T2A,  PSA 4.7
Gleason 4+4=8 right side
adrenocarcinoma of prostate
DaVinci Surgery 01/16/07
Post op report,confirms Gleason4+4=8
no extra extension/invasion identified
age 65
Back on the golf course...
90 day PSA  less than 0.01 (undetectable)

Cedar Chopper
Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 432
   Posted 6/27/2007 4:27 PM (GMT -6)   
flatrock said...
Recently diagnosed on May 21, 2007.  Doing the research and talking with Urologist and two Radiation Oncologists. I've decided on IMRT for a variety of reasons all in consultation with the MD's.  Urologist now suggesting Hormone shot prior to radiation. RO neutral on this. I would appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with this. 
Diag 5/21/07 Age 65
PSA 7, Gleason 3+4=7
Stage T2b
We don't really know all the details as to why you and your physicians are opting for IMRT (and HT?). 
I myself am a strong believer in second opinions from physicians that are certain they won't be involved in whatever procedure chosen.  It liberates their tongues & frees them from self-editing!  Good specialists are passionate about their specialties......
Even if your co-morbidities rule out a radical prostatectomy - as your "research," your gleason, and your age lead us to believe, - if the surgery is not chosen - if you can afford it, you should definitely consider Proton Therapy.
You will find support and information here regardless of what procedure path you follow.  This group of caring individuals have an amazing amount of knowledge, and the compassion to share it.
May God's Love be with you, always - in the Son!

2 Years of PSA between 4 and 5.5
Biopsy 23DEC06 
Only 5 percent cancer in one of 8 samples.
Gleeson 3+3=6
Radical Prostatectomy 16FEB07 at age 54.
1+" tumor - touching inside edge of gland.
Texas Hill Country
FRESH Produce Department Manager
Have you had your 5 colors today?

Post Edited (Cedar Chopper) : 6/27/2007 3:31:39 PM (GMT-6)

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 211
   Posted 6/27/2007 5:08 PM (GMT -6)   

Your PC is medium risk.

The combination of local and systemic treatment will  give you the best chance of a good prognosis. Often hormone treatment is undertaken before during and after radiation.

Not everyone has severe side effects from hormone treatment, and there are ways to reduce the more severe potential side effects. Most men I know who have used hormones have not experienced major problems.

For more information on hormone treatment, the book by Dr Charles Myers on the subject is worthwhile reading.

A very good comprehensive book is "Prostate Cancer Prevention and Cure" by Dr Lee Nelson. Dr Nelson underwent radiation and hormone treatment as he considered his T2b PC agressive, and needed an agressive approach. His book covers diagnosis, stages, treatment options, lifestyle changes, diet supplements and exercise.

Other good places for information are: which has stories from men who have undertaken various treatments. See mentors experiences section. has lots of details from men on proton treatment. has details on the use of hormones for 13 months as a sole treatment.

You will get lots of personal views.  For T2b, I'd go to Loma Linda if possible, as suggested here previously, or undertake IMRT and hormone treatment for 13 months. Reason being that hormones could well improve the radiation result, and if going through hormone treatment for a few months, it seems more logical to continue for a longer treatment to give best chance of treating cancer cells which might well be circulating in the system or be present in other areas.




Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 818
   Posted 6/27/2007 5:14 PM (GMT -6)   

Hi flatrock,

We wish you the very best of luck with your treatment. Please keep us posted with your progress.


Diagnosed at age 60
PSA went from 2.2 to 3.8 in 14 months
2 of 14 cores positive at 10%
Gleason 6(3+3), negative DRE, neg. boundaries
DaVinci surgery on 02/23/06

Post Edited (spinbiscuit) : 6/27/2007 4:17:20 PM (GMT-6)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 823
   Posted 6/27/2007 5:22 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Flatrock. Please explore all your options and get at least a second opinion as to your treatment options. Consult with a cancer center that has a multi-dicliplinary approach to treating prostate cancer. Find out all your options to treating your problem. For me, I had open surgery and have no regrets.

God bless


Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 2542
   Posted 6/27/2007 6:26 PM (GMT -6)   

Hi  ~ Flatrock &  Loved Ones,


A   “Special”  Warm Welcome  to  You!   yeah   


We know ~ we can “all” make “Your Journey” smoother just by being here for you! 

This is truly a great forum!!! ~ You have joined!  You are now part our forum family ~ a group of wonderful individuals who are so willing to share...  It helps “all of us” ~ to help you ~ if we know where you are on your path. So ~ Please stay with us and take our hand when you need it!  Keep posting.... OKAY!!


KNOWLEDGE    IS    POWER  ...  and  POWER conquers  fear



~ and ~

Your decision will be the right decision for you!!!


Keeping you close in thoughts and prayers as you move forward in your search for answers…


In Friendship ~ Lee & Buddy


“God Bless You”

It's a little prayer  ~  "God Bless You" ...but it means so much each day,

It means may angels guard you and guide you on your  way.


(Direct Links ~ just clicks on the title below and a new window will open!  

Reminder … click on the REFRESH icon once you get there)

We hope this link helps you!! Scroll down to the 3rd posting when you get there for some quick links..

Helpful Hints ~ & ~ Direct Links to Important Topic Threads ~ Hope this helps you!! :)

mama bluebird - Lee & Buddy… from North Carolina

J  We invite you to visit our personal thread:  Click Here:  “Our Journey” ~ Sharing is Caring 

April 3, 2006  53 on surgery day

RRP / Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy with "wide excision"

PSA 4.6   Gleason  3+3=6    T2a   Confined to Prostate

2nd PSA 02-06-2007 Less than 0.1 Non-Detectable :)


 « bluebird ~ Moderator for Prostate Cancer Forum

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 883
   Posted 6/27/2007 9:09 PM (GMT -6)   
Please just check out your options.

Good Luck with your Journey!

    PSA 5.7 - Discovered during Annual Physical with Family Practice Dr.
    Gleason 7
    Biopsy - 3 of 12 positive (up to 75%) all on left side of prostate
    RRP on Oct. 17, 2006 - Nerves on right side saved.
    All Lab's clear.  No Cancer outside prostate
    Cathiter in for 3 weeks due to complications in healing. Removed Nov. 9, 2006
    First Post op PSA on Dec. 11, 2006  Undetectable 0.00
    Office visit on Jan. 19th due to continued excessive urine leakage.
    Feb.20th Cystoscope and 2nd Post Op PSA. Another 0.00.....:)
    Dr. said everything looks fine.  Continue to work Kegeal's. Leaking appears to have improved  after Cystoscope?!?!?!  Down to 3-4 pads per day!
    March 1st  Leaking has crept back up to 6 - 8 pads a day ??????? 
    March 8th Started Detrol LA to see if it helps with the leaking?
    March 29th Collagen injection into sphincter / bladder neck area to control excessive leaking.  Worked for a couple of days then back to leaking.
    April 17th (Six Months Post Op) 2nd Collagen Injection to control excessive leaking.  Leaking started back next day at work!
    May 14th Second Opinion about my leaking and Options at OU Medical Center.  After reviewing my records the Dr. feels I will probably need some surgical intervention to stop my leaking.  But did agree to try Bio-Feedback and work hard on the Kegeal's first!
    May 30th Follow up with my Dr. and 3rd Post Op PSA 0.00 agian!!!
    June 1st Start Bio-Feedback to try to control my leaking.

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 154
   Posted 6/27/2007 9:28 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Flatrock,

Welcome. We are here to support you in whatever treatment option you choose. I agree with checking out your options and getting a second (and third opinion) if possible.

Best of luck to you.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8:02 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,460 posts in 329,148 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161739 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, pinky;spoorback.
234 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
OzLyme, logoslidat, Ss800, Admin, wednesday77, mordant, FamilyGuy, CatskillsMelanie, straydog, Buddy Blank