update on hubby just diagnosed

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

prewitt
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 48
   Posted 8/27/2007 4:09 PM (GMT -7)   
Well we had our appt with dr this morning and he said the real only option is to have the surgery.  Said radiation is an option but he really didnt recommend it. Is sending us to Indianapolis to dr. Of course will have to go threw more testing up there. Really scared over the surgery. From what I understand it is a major deal and could cause complications. But with cancer I guess this is our best option. Hubby is certain this is the way he wants to go. Hopefully it has not spread but doc said cant tell for sure until they do surgery and check lymph nodes. 3+3 gleason and t2 is what he suspects. Will let you all know when we have our consult with surgeon. Hopefully it wont be too long. Daughters wedding is in 3 wks but doc said not to put off getting the ball rolling. Cells showed very aggressive and said we didnt have a lot of time to fool around. I dont feel I can ask my step daughter to pospone but she may not have dad to walk her down the isle. What all can we expect with the surgery to remove. Hubby is 50.

puget
Regular Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 237
   Posted 8/27/2007 4:24 PM (GMT -7)   
Sorry you're having to face this, especially on the eve of your husband's daughter's wedding. You'll find lots of support here. Many have written threads on their surgery experiences. You may find that a lot of your questions are answered in reading those threads. If you go back several pages, you'll find many of them. Mine's called Puget's Passage. Others are easily identified -- threads by Idaho and Pasayten are a couple of the more recent ones, too. Others who read your post today may be able to direct you to theirs. Try to stay calm. And keep in touch with us.
Puget
60 years old
Dx March 2007
Pre-Surgery Gleason 3+3 = 6
Clinical Stage: T1c
Biopsy: 1 in 10 positive
Da Vinci: June 7, 2007 
Post-Surgery Gleason 3+3 = 6
   Clear at margins
First Post-PSA Sept 07


IdahoSurvivor
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1015
   Posted 8/27/2007 5:07 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi prewitt,
 
You may wish to get another opinion.  Three-four weeks is not a long wait to have surgery.  My doctor said I could wait 4-6 months and still be okay.  A Gleason of 3+3=6 does not sound like an aggressive cancer to me.  My Gleason was 3+3=6 and all three doctors I talked last May said to to "get it done this year" (in 2007).
 
Unless there is more I don't know, of course, I'm not a doctor, I'd say go to the wedding and enjoy.
 
All the best,
 
Idaho

Age: 54
PSA: 4.3
Biopsy: T1c, 3+3=6, 2 pos. samples in one side of prostate
Da Vinci 31 Jul 2007: saved nerve bundle on side of non-cancerous side
Final pathology: Confined to prostate, T2a, 3+3=6
Working to get back into good shape
Waiting to take that first post-op PSA

Tamu
Veteran Member


Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 626
   Posted 8/27/2007 5:35 PM (GMT -7)   
Prewitt,

In cases of diagnosed PCa the most predominant Gleason score is 3+3 = 6. in general terms it is considered moderately aggressive. That was my Gleason score and I waited almost four months from day of diagnosis to surgery due to my surgeon's backlogged schedule. He was not concerned with the wait as prostate cancer is a slower growing cancer then most other forms and a Gleason of 6 just indicates that there is time. My tumor was less then 5% of my prostate and my urologist said that it probably started as much as two years earlier. If my daughter was getting married in three weeks I would walk her down the aisle. Besides, they will not do anything until the prostate settles down from the biopsy and that usually takes 8 or 9 weeks.

Tamu
Diagnosed 7/6/06, 1 of 10 core samples, 40%,Stage T1c, Gleason 3+3
Da Vinci on 11/01/06, Catheter out on 11/13/06
56 Years Old
Post Op Path, Gleason 3+3, Approx. 5% of prostate involved
Prostate Confined, margins clear
Undetectable PSA on 12/18/06
No more pads as of 1/13/07
Began injections in April '07
Undetectable PSA on 6/25/07


Swimom
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 1732
   Posted 8/27/2007 5:43 PM (GMT -7)   
Prewitt,

What is DH's PSA? 3+3 Geasons are not considered hugely agressive in general. However, if his PSA is on the higher side, it would explain the surgeon's hesitation in waiting.

Swim
 


mvesr
Veteran Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 823
   Posted 8/27/2007 5:46 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi prewitt. If you have decided on surgery, don't be afraid of it. I had open surgery on May 30th of this year, stayed two days in the hospital and have had no pain meds since leaving the hospital. I didn't even fill the prescription. Had some oxycodone left over from breaking my arm last summer, but have not needed any with the prostate surgery. Breaking the arm in two places was a lot more painful and difficult to deal with than prostate surgery. The cathater is difficult but he can stand it for how ever long his Dr needs it to stay in. It is very important to the healing process. There are some very good and caring people on this forum who you can lean on for advise. Please stay with us and let us know how things are going. Get a second opinion. All the best to you.

Mika-mvesr

kdnole
Regular Member


Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 152
   Posted 8/27/2007 5:56 PM (GMT -7)   
Prewitt, I am agreeing with most here. I had a 3+3=6 Gleason with a 4.8 PSA and waited 3 months for the DiVinci surgery because of the Dr. back log of patience. I was in and out of the hospital within 14 hours and back to work within 4 weeks. It's a slow moving cancer so get your facts before you move too fast. Heck, I'm in line to get radiation due to a positive pathology report and I have to wait until I'm healed from surgery before that can happen and that's 6 weeks. Sure I'm a bit freaked but patience and education is a must when dealing with PCa. 

Age 44
PSA 4.8
Gleason 3+3=6
T2
Da Vinci 7/31/07 @ Duke
2.5 hr. surgery, released from Duke with in 14 hrs.
Saved both nerve bundles. 
Foley out 8/10/08
Positive Pathology Report 
New Gleason 7
Left side near nerve bundle invloved
Oncology visit in the near future for radiation
Back to work 3 weeks following surgery - Sales


prewitt
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 48
   Posted 8/27/2007 6:25 PM (GMT -7)   
I know from everyone I have read on most are a 3+3 I am not sure why the doc says dont wait. The biopsy states Small acini showing an infiltrative growth pattern. These cells lack a basal cell layer and show prominent nucleoli. Adenacarcenoma gleason 3+3 approximately 5% of the tissue 1 of 1 core no perinerural invasion or extraprostatic extension identified. This was 2 of 2 opinions. Anyone see the urgency our eurologist sees?  Doc says T2 maybe T3 not sure. PSA 4.00 doc said this is elevated for 50 year old.

IdahoSurvivor
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 1015
   Posted 8/27/2007 6:40 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi prewitt,
 
I am 54 and my PSA was a 4.3, up from a 1.2 just a few months prior.  However, my doctor was not alarmed at all.  My doctor is one of the four main cancer surgeons at our clinic.  A T2 usually means that the tumor could be felt during a digital rectal exam?  Do you know if this was the case?  I think the biggest concern for the doctor (and patient) is if the cancer has spread beyond the prostate in terms of urgency.  Your explanation leads me to believe the biopsy report doesn't indicate that is the case.
 
I'm not sure if the doctor is concerned about abnormal cellular structure which may lend to the doctor's sense of urgency.  Have you sought another opinion?  I know that costs money, but it could get you more information and lend some comfort in choosing a treatment option.
 
Please continue sharing and talking.  We're not experts here, but many of gone through the steps you're going through on your journey to fight the disease.  Hang in there and we'll be listening and offer our best thoughts on your situation.
 
Kindest regards,
 
Idaho
 
 

Age: 54
PSA: 4.3
Biopsy: T1c, 3+3=6, 2 pos. samples in one side of prostate
Da Vinci 31 Jul 2007: saved nerve bundle on side of non-cancerous side
Final pathology: Confined to prostate, T2a, 3+3=6
Working to get back into good shape
Waiting to take that first post-op PSA

bzup
New Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 11
   Posted 8/27/2007 7:04 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi
 
We were in a very similar situation to you and your hubby.  My husband (bzup) was diagnosed in April 2007, and our daughter was getting married in June.  He asked the doctor about waiting on the surgery until after the wedding and the doctor said it was not a problem.  He was 52, PSA jumped from 1.7 to 3.1, Gleason 3+3, T1C.  Hope the surgery goes off perfectly!
 
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!  Have a blast and dance the night away : )
 
 
PSA rose from 1.7 to 3.1 over 2 years.
Biopsy confirmed cancer in 2 of 12 cores (3% and 4%)
Pre-op clinical pathology - T1C; Gleason 6 (3 + 3)
Post-op pathology - T2c; Gleason 3+4, 5% cancer, clear margins, no spread beyond prostate
Nerve sparing, robotic surgery, Ohio State University Hospital, Dr. Vipul Patel, July 2, 2007
 


lifeguyd
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 664
   Posted 8/27/2007 7:51 PM (GMT -7)   

Ok now...Step back...take a big breath and let it out slowly.

You have been given some very good advice here.  I am guessing that the doctor wants to make sure you don't ignore this new diagnosis. But you don't need to rush into anything. Three weeks isn't even enough time to make an appointment.  I had a Gleason 8 and did not have surgery for seven months after the early discovery.  I had no spread or healing problems.

Good luck and remember that this is something that you can get through.


 
Biopsy 10/16/06
T2A,  PSA 4.7
Gleason 4+4=8 right side
adrenocarcinoma of prostate
DaVinci Surgery 01/16/07
Post op report,confirms Gleason4+4=8
no extra extension/invasion identified
age 65
Back on the golf course...
90 day PSA  less than 0.01 (undetectable)
Six Month PSA still undetectable
Beginning injection therapy for ed (08/07/07)
 


anniea
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 234
   Posted 8/27/2007 9:40 PM (GMT -7)   

Hi Prewitt

Sorry to hear your young hubby has this problem. My biopsy was done on 2-14-07 with a PSA of 5.09 and a Gleason 8 which is considered very aggressive. My urologist said I HAD to wait at least 6 weeks for the surgery so my prostate could heal and they would be able to get a clearer view of where the cancer was. I ended up with positive margins and they bumped it to a Gleason 9 post op. I think most surgeons want us to wait six weeks post biopsy???? Maybe someone here can offer more information on that.

Best wishes to you both.

Rick


Rick & Diana
6-30-06  PSA 2.54
1-22-07  PSA 4.98
1-26-07  PSA 5.09
Diag: 2-14-07 Gleason 8 Stage T1c PSA 5.09
Bone Scan 3-1-07 Clear
Radical retropubic surgery 4-2-07  Post surgery Gleason 9 Stage T3a Positive margins
4-29-07 PSA 0.02
6-9-07   PSA 0.02
7-6-07   PSA 0.03
8-1-07   CT Scan & Chest X-Ray   Clean
 


uncledan
Regular Member


Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 120
   Posted 8/27/2007 10:04 PM (GMT -7)   
Prewitt, noticing that it has not even been a month since your husbands biopsies, I think your husband will be able to walk his daughter down the aisle. Most surgeons do not want to operate until the inflammation has resided from the biopsies. This being the case you have plenty of time to make an informed decision, I personally believe the only way to be sure they get it all out is by surgery. As stated before although prostate cancer is nothing to be nonchalant about, it is not always as dark as it seems. With information and support from this forum you will soon be ready to take on the world. God Bless, Uncle Dan
Age 67
10-06 PSA 5.44 01-07 PSA 6.47
Biopsies 05-07 2 of 6 positive
Gleason Score 7 (3+4) Stage T1c
Laparoscopic surgery 08-14 RAP, scar tissue,
lymph nodes 2 R & 1 L, R & L seminal vesicles.
Pathology report now 7 (4+3) Stage T1c


Cedar Chopper
Regular Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 432
   Posted 8/28/2007 3:13 AM (GMT -7)   
Hello Prewitt,

I'm just guessing that the physician only hurries you to schedule surgery.
My thoughts are that this is because most prostatectomy surgeons are booked for at least a month or two - sometimes more.

I would go ahead and book the surgery - and then - if you haven't already - find another qualified facility and get a second opinion.  You might change surgeons in this process.  The initial booked surgery might then be cancelled and then the next wait for surgery might put you out to four months.  This is long enough, even for T-2 / gleason 6 / PSA 4.....

So, don't wait to schedule surgery.  Do get the ball rolling. 
And many happy returns of the day for your daughter's wedding.
I'd plan on being there and having surgery while they honeymoon!

Sincerely,

CCedar
ICTHUS!
2 Years of PSA between 4 and 5.5  + Biopsy 23DEC06 
Only 5 percent cancer in one of 8 samples.  +  Gleeson 3+3=6
Radical Prostatectomy 16FEB07 at age 54.
1+" tumor - touching inside edge of gland.  + Confined:)
Pad Free @ 14 weeks.  Six Month PSA <.003  :)
At 6 months, ED treated with Pump Exercises & 50mg Viagra Daily
Texas Hill Country FRESH Produce Department Manager
Have you had your 5 colors today?


broker59
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 88
   Posted 8/28/2007 12:58 PM (GMT -7)   
nono  Prewitt
 
Just thought I would chime in.  I was a Gleeson 7, and waited 3 months, everything was clear, and zero PSA. Your husband MUST  walk his daughter down the isle, It is a moment a father looks forward to his his whole life, at least in my case.
 
As you have already heard, get the best surgeon possible with a LOT of procedures(successful) under his belt. For what it's worth I had open surgery, could have walked my daughter down the isle in 8 days, NO pain to speak of! yeah
 
GOOD LUCK
Broker 59


Date of Dx 3/20/07

PSA: 2.5
Gleeson: 3+4
Stage: T2
Bone Scan Clean

Date of Surgery: 6/21/07  Open RP
 
Post Opp: ALL NEGATIVE margins & L/N, S/V.
Cath out after 18 days = BIG RELIEF!!!
 
PSA: 7/23/07 0.01
 


Michael's Wife
Regular Member


Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 150
   Posted 8/28/2007 2:04 PM (GMT -7)   
Similar to many others, my husband (58 next month) was told there was no huge rush to have surgery, especially since the prostate had to heal from the biopsy. My husband's Gleason is also 3+3=6 and his PSA is 4.4. Has your husband's PSA level risen dramatically over the last year? Does the surgeon have reason to suspect the cancer has spread? I'm also confused as to why your surgeon is not recommending that you at least research other options. My husband's doctor urged him to both get a second opinion regarding surgery and to consult with a radiation oncologist regarding brachytherapy. I'm certainly no expert, but your husband's situation doesn't sound that different on the surface from my husband's and his cancer was not considered overly aggressive. In fact he was told not to cancel a planned overseas trip, but rather to go ahead and have a good time and think about what he wanted to do.

Husband Age: 58
Stage: T1c
Gleason: 6 (3+3)
PSA: 4.4
Biopsy: 12 samples, Adenocarcinoma involving 3 cores, right side only (95%, 90%, 30%, discontinuously)
Still researching options

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:47 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,904,652 posts in 318,776 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 158156 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Peeshi.
362 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
JustMrMe, sevenyearssick, Serenity Now, magoo2, Maverick6981, k07, irish4me, straydog, JonnyD80, BOB 46