New to Board - Hello Everyone,
I would greatly appreciate any comments/insights to my recent biopsy results. My PSA jumped from 3.9 to 4.5 in June 07 and my uro recommend having a biopsy. Here is my situation. I had a TRUS biopsy performed on June 15, 07 with the following results -
1 of 12 positive (with less than 1% of tissue). Right Base with no perineural invasion seen.
Stage T1c Gleason 3+3=6
My uro indicated I was low risk and recommended robotic surgery. Since there was only one core positive with less than 1% of the tissue involved, I decided on having a second opinion and met with a another uro. After reviewing the initial biopsy pathology report, the second uro wanted to send the path slides to Johns Hopkins for review. The Johns Hopkins report came back stating the prostate tissue with a small focus of atypical glands is suspicious for carcinoma. However due to atrophic features, a definitive diagnosis cannot be made. Johns Hopkins recommended a repeat biopsy should be performed. The Johns Hopkins report further stated that the pathology testing process in the initial biopsy is also found positive in the majority of high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and occasional benign glands of cancer. Therefore, a positive P504S staining does not equate to prostate cancer.
Per the JH recommendation, repeated the biopsy on Aug 23 07 by the second uro. This time 16 samples were taken with a focus of 4 samples from the Right Base. I received the results from the second biopsy on Aug 28th which stated all 16 core samples were negative with no tumor seen in any area of the prostate.
Up until the second biopsy, I had been strongly considering surgery or proton treatments. The second uro recommended coming back in Jan 2008 for a PSA test and decide what to do at that time depending on the PSA results. I'm not one for WW and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with their biopsies.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.