Need help and advice

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 2/19/2012 11:00 AM (GMT -7)   

Im an overall healthy, active 20 year old girl. I had a cat scan done on my ribs last

June (2011) and a 1cm thyroid nodule was found by accident on the left side of

my thyroid gland. My doctor sent me for a thyroid ultrasound which resulted in a

1 cm fluid filled thyroid cyst. I was sent for a follow up ultrasound about 6

months later. The size of the nodule did not change, but the consistency did

change to a solid nodule. My ENT doctor thought that since I got those 2

ultrasounds done at different locations, that possibly the radiologist read the

reports wrong and maybe the consistency really didntt change. I was sent for

another ultrasound about 2 months ago to double check and the consistency really

DID change, but once again the size did not.My ENT doctor

sent me for a thyroid biopsy about 3 weeks ago to try and figure this whole

thing out. It was one of the worst things I've ever had to go through and I

hoped I would never have to do it again. The results came back last week as "

non diagnostic " meaning they still couldntt tell. I had a follow up with my ENT

doctor today and we spoke a bit about the next step. He said a) go for another

biopsy b) just wait it out and watch the nodule ( go for ultrasounds 2x a year )

or c) he could go in and take the nodule out as well as half my

thyroid. Being a very

anxious person since my teen years, I feel as though I have been through a lot

of stress over this nodule since last July. I decided with the option of taking

out my nodule and part of the thyroid as well. I feel that once it is out of my

body, I will be stress free and will be able to move on with the rest of my

life. Although I was told the wait time for surgery is 15-24 months, that means

that many more months of anxiety and stress. I understand the chance that my

nodule is cancer is SO very slim that most people would probably just watch it

and not stress over it. For some reason I can't do that, and I am not okay with

it still being there and it having that small chance of being cancerous. My ENT

doctor said that my thyroid will most likely be able to function perfectly fine

afterwards with only half, and I probably will not have to be on thyroid

medication. I signed the consent for surgery today, but was told I can call back

at any minute and shred it up if I decide not to have the surgery. My doctor

told me he would support me in any option I chose, but he did mention that 9/10

surgeries are benign and that thyroid surgeries for nodules are done more often

than they really need to be. He mentioned some people could care less, but for

some people it runs their lives and eats away at them till the know what it

is. I feel like

if i went for the option of just watching it, then going through the

ultrasounds, appointments and biopsy were a whole waste of my time and emotions

since they could have just watched it from the beginning. I also understand that

thyroid cancer is one of the best cancers TO have if my nodule did turn out to

be malignant, I've googled pretty much everything there is to know in that

departmnet. My question for all of you is what would you do if you were in my position and felt

anxious,angry,sad,and scared over this being so young? Would you make the choice

to have surgery or suck it up watch it having been through so much thus far.


Thanks for taking the time to help confused

Forum Moderator

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10405
   Posted 2/19/2012 3:03 PM (GMT -7)   
If I had something causing me anxiety and ruining my quality of life and that something could be gotten rid of, I think I'd get rid of it. We all worry about different things, but if this is affecting you that much you've probably made a good decision for you.

With a long wait time for surgery, your anxiety could wane and you might change your mind, but at least you're on the list if that doesn't happen.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted!
Ulcerative colitis diagnosed in 2001; symptoms as early as 1992. In remission since 2006 with Remicade.
Inflammatory osteoarthritis; osteonecrosis from steroids
Grave's disease successfully treated with radioactive iodine and now on Levothyroxine.
Type II diabetes induced by steroids.
Meds: Remicade, Colazal, Levothyroxine, Mobic, Metformin

Moderator, thyroid forum

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 2386
   Posted 2/19/2012 10:50 PM (GMT -7)   
I would of did what you chose..
"The Walking Medical Mystery"

Too many Allergies / Too many RXs & DXs

A Rare Gem for Doctors and Guinee Pig
~Medical Caregiver and Doctors Worse Nightmare~
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, December 14, 2017 12:16 PM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,905,433 posts in 318,860 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 158218 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Bob47.
363 Guest(s), 15 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Micah68, Italatin8, mattamx, PeppermintTea, dmw52, landcrab, Scaredy Cat, The Anxious Jedi, getting by, Samura, Anjne, Szabo246, Scooterbuglyme, MacroMan, jackinthebox