Posted 9/3/2013 2:24 PM (GMT -7)
Thyroid Nodules were found accidentally during a cervical MRI that my Pain Specialist wanted done when I started having severe neck & shoulder pain. The only previous MRI that had been done was over 5 years old, and no Nodules were present on it.
My questions are based, mainly, on my reading several Thyroid Nodule articles out of nervous curiosity when a FNA was scheduled for this coming Thursday after their discovery on the MRI.
Just in the past 5 years, I have had several of the …many… symptoms seemingly related to what can/may be the cause of, or the results of Thyroid Nodules. I’d like to also add- most, if not all, of these symptoms can be linked simply to getting older- which just leads to more confusion on my part.
Most recently, within the last 6 months, I have had bothersome enough that I have mentioned it both to my Pain Specialist (Degenerative Disc Disease) and my GP:
1. Ringing ears- which is Very Bothersome. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves, and the TV is kept on basically “blow out” which gets very irritating even to me!
2. Severe Constipation. This I mentioned to my “back doctor” because of the # of pain med’s that I take- I just assumed that they were causing it. I take Miralax several times a week, drink Lots of water, plenty of fiber, everything that I know of to “help” with this, but nothing really seems to help.
3. Insomnia- this I also just “wrote off” because of the number of pain med’s that I’m taking.
4. Tingling/numbness in feet & hands, especially pinky finger and “baby” toe. I kind of wrote this off due to bad disc’s in my back.
5. What feels like maybe sinus drainage Constantly in the back of my throat- because of the time of year (Alabama, rural area) I just assumed my sinuses were acting up- Benadryl doesn’t help, and seems to only add to the-
6. Extreme fatigue, all the time regardless of whether I’ve slept well or not.
7. While I think that my diet has stayed pretty much the same, if not improved, in the past 6 months, I have gained probably 20 pounds, and twice tested my cholesterol has gone Up in both tests. My vitamin D was low enough that prescription was written for 1 a week for 8 weeks, and for whatever reason, it was noted that my Red Corpuscles were larger than normal.
8. I have a seemingly “sensitive to temperature” metabolism now… it seems as if I am on the verge of sweating all the time. Once I Do get hot- I’m miserable.
9. I am very, very forgetful now, and can rightly describe it as a “foggy brain” most of the time. Forgetting words in the midst of a conversation- both the ones I’m trying to say, and less common- understanding what I’m being told. The date- I’m always forgetting what day it is, and have forgotten several appointments lately.
10. My eyes- vision has gotten worse, top of my eyelids have swollen to the point that you can’t really see the bottom half, eyes stay dry & itchy, and I stare a Lot.
None of the above are strictly Thyroid related, I know that- I’m 51 years old, maybe it’s all just symptomatic of menopause.
During the FNA, or at the Dr’s appointment following, what questions should _ I_ ask, what questions should I be prepared to answer, and any other insights, advice, or experience anyone might be willing to offer me is greatly appreciated!
Thanks & I hope this isn’t confusing or to badly written for anyone to understand!