When to give in

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 300
   Posted 1/6/2008 8:08 PM (GMT -6)   
I have had a flare coming on for a week now.  The past 3 days I have been pretty miserable (loss of appetite, 3-4 "D" and, of course, blood).  Mornings are the absolute worst.  I can go to bed feeling really good and then I wake up sick as a dog.  I am not vomiting or anything..........just impossible to get going and totally impossible to eat.  I am the one that is unclear if this flare is due to a cold (now gone), my period (which never really amounted to anything but I think is pretty over) or down to 5mg of prednisone last Thursday.  I feel like I am lying to myself everytime I try to go down on prednsione.  I keep thinking "this is it".....I can get off this time.  I had allergic reaction to 6mp and I also tried imuran.  My GI says surgery or remicade.....steriod dependent.  I initially said "no way" to remicade but now I am reconsidering.  Just looking for some advice.  Does it sound like I could still get out of this flare or does it sound out of control?  The nausea/loss of appetite is what really kicks my butt.  I usually break and just increase my prednisone back up to 20mg and things work out but my husband thinks that my body is actually going through prednisone withdrawl and he thinks I need to stick it out.  Also, thoughts on remicade.  I am so afraid to have a bad reaction but I guess if I did then they would fix it at the hospital, right?  I am pretty paranoid about medicine so that is why I am so tempted to do surgery.  I have already met with the surgeon and I qualify for the j-pouch but it would take 3 surgeries.  Wow.....loosing you colon is such a big deal and I feel like I am usually fairly symptom free...........as long as I am 7.5mg or more of prednsione.  Thanks for listening
Pancolitis - July 2006
Medications:  Predisone - 5mg ,asacol - 12 tablets per day
Supplements:  multi-vit, calcium, folic acid
My wish:  get off prednsione....been on straight since 8/2006

Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2007
Total Posts : 277
   Posted 1/6/2008 8:15 PM (GMT -6)   
wow, if it were me I would try remicade..This has been a rough year for me, I may be discussing remicade soon myself...I have heard a lot of positive results from it.
UC diagnosed 1991
Asacal, colazel, zoloft,levoxyl, colocort enemas

Elite Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10407
   Posted 1/6/2008 8:23 PM (GMT -6)   
I made the decision for Remicade, and it's worked out well for me. I've been to the infusion center for Remicade about 11 times now, and I see about 6 other people getting it each time. I've only seen 2 people have reactions, and both of those were treated with IV fluids to dilute the Remi and did fine. I know there are several people here who had reactions, but I haven't seen many at all - 2 out of about 65?

I also know I still have the option of surgery, too. It's a hard one for me to take because it takes away all my other options. But if you're really afraid of medicine, it might be the choice for you.

Either way, I'd recommend getting off the Pred as soon as possible.
Moderate to severe left-sided UC (21 cm) diagnosed 2001.
Intolerant to Asacol and rectal mesalamine preparations.
On Prednisone then Entocort 2001-2006 with only short periods off. 
Current meds are Colazal, Azathioprine Remicade, Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri.
In remission since April, 2006. Remicade has been my wonder drug.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:17 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,785 posts in 329,263 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161802 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Ultimo_G.
255 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
oceanfisher58, (Seashell)