Any time I travel abroad, I follow these rules:
- Don't drink anything that isn't straight out of a bottle that you
open yourself - wine, cola products, water.
- No ice (as Beth mentions above)
- Only eat cooked food (as Beth mentions above)
- Only eat fruit that you peel yourself (i.e. Bananas)
- Brush my teeth with bottled water (as Beth mentions above)
- Use hand sanitizer ALL DAY LONG
- Only eat at upscale restaurants (I don't mean to sound like a snob here, but you have less of a chance of getting a foodborne illness at a higher quality of restaurant. You don't have to spend a ton of money... just look for the more touristy eateries. I NEVER eat off street food carts when I am in another country.)
- Bring plenty of Pepto Bismol. It works wonders with travelers diarrhea!
- And, of course, continue to take your medications religiously!
I have never had a problem while traveling, so I swear by these tips. I hope they work for you!
- Asacol (4 pills, 3x per day)
- Rowasa (1 enema daily, as needed)
- Folic Acid (1 mg, 1x per day)
- Calcium (600 mg, 2x per day)
- Prenatal Vitamin (1x per day)
- Iron (2x per day)