Posted 1/14/2008 5:23 PM (GMT -6)
My husband and I just returned from a 5 and a half week long trip to India, which we both survived without incident. In India, we went to Chennai, Madurai, Rameswaram, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Bangalore and Mysore. This is what we did to stay healthy:
* Only purified water (my parents had a Kent Water Purifier with Reverse Osmosis and UV filtration), and on the road we relied on bottled water (well known brands such as Aquafina, Team, and Kinley)
* Brushed teeth with only purified water
* Ate at restaurants that were well frequented by the locals (so that you always got fresh hot food).
* Insisted that the food we ate was steaming hot.
* Wiped down all the plates and silverware etc. before eating
* Ate plenty of the local yogurt (and take a lot of probiotics - we took VSL3)
* Made sure not to eat anything uncooked (even as a garnish on cooked food)
* Did not drink any fruit juices at restaurants / roadside stalls
* Did not eat fruits that we did not clean or peel
* Did not consume any ice that we don't know if the water was purified
* Carried hand sanitizer, plus baby wipes (very very useful)
* Washed hands frequently
* Stuck to a vegetarian diet of lentils and rice, etc
This really worked well for us. Also, be sure to take plenty of meds with you before you leave. I hope you too have a healthy trip to India. Where in India are you visiting?