Just wanted to give an upate in case anyone out there is trying to decide if they should BF while on Asacol. My son is a healthy, happy 8 month old now. He is huge(over 20 pounds) and a joy to be around. I have exclusively breastfed him and was on as much as 12 Asacol/day during my flare after giving birth(YUP, I flared just like last pregnancy). I'm now on 6 Asacol/day with no issues on his end. I had no choice but to BF as my son had the same protein intolerance to dairy/soy as my daughter did, so I can't say for sure if I would have BF with Asacol in my system if I HAD a choice, but I am pretty sure I would have. At least I would have tried and if he showed any signs of issues I would have stopped. My supply is starting to go down(I work fulltime) and so I have started supplementing a bit and he is getting eczema from it.
Other than that it looks like his protein sensitivity is starting to get better.
Officially Diagnosed with UC in June 2003. Have had stomach issues since 1989. Unknown if they are related or not. Have mild/moderate UC. Have had 4 flares, the last one caused by hormones from stopping breastfeeding. Currently back in remission! Only taking 6 Asacol a day. Will take Rowasa enemas as needed. Colozal did not work for me. Luckily my UC is relatively minor and responds well to meds, but man do those flares hurt!