Hi all. I was so glad my hubby did great all through our India trip, and we were just talking about
possibly tapering the Canasa to once every other day, and now he's flaring again
I truly hope his colitis has not spread further into the colon - he only has it in the rectum so far.
A couple of days ago, he said he was slightly more gassy than normal, and then yesterday those farts became horribly smelly. Also, he got a canker sore in his mouth. His poop was still well formed though - no mucous or blood that he could see. Yesterday, he started taking Canasa twice a day, however, he is slightly worse today. His stool is less formed, and he's got some gurgling in his stomach, and yes, his stool is stinky. Not yet diarrhea, but very mushy stool, and no blood or mucous that he can see.
Today, he decided he'd try taking cortifoam, instead of canasa. Also, he's increased his dosage of VSL3 to 4 packets a day (2 in the am, 2 in the pm).He took his first dose this morning, and is going to continue to take it twice a day until he sees improvement. We intend to get a phone consult with his GI on Monday, and see if he's good with this course of treatment, or if he suggests something else.
We've modified his diet to where he's not eating much carbohydrates, and is mainly sticking to a bland diet. Are we on the right course? Is there anything else we should be doing? I'm hoping we've caught this flare early enough so that he doesn't suffer like he did last time.
Also, he was scheduled for a colonoscopy this upcoming thursday. Should he go ahead and get the colonoscopy even though he's flaring? Will it make it worse? Should he just wait until he's feeling better and re-schedule the scope?
Thanks for your help.
Husband with Ulcerative Proctitis
Diagnosed March 2003, 1st Flareup after diagnosis Apr 2006
Currently mildly flaring - now taking 4 VSL3, Canasa & Cortifoam
Nightly 1000mg time release Canasa
VSL3 1 packet daily