Cure? What diseases have been cured in the past 50 years? I never hear of cures, lots of new drugs yes, but cures? All of these major illnesses out there, auto-immune, cancer, diabetes etc. Maybe the genetic revolution will bring on new drugs that act as "cures." The goal should be to cure, but it seems the goal of the medical establishment is to control symptoms. There is no money in curing, only in keeping people just sick/well enough to continue taking more drugs. You go to your GI, they tell you what drugs they want you to take, not advice on getting well. If it doesn't make them money they don't talk about it. The whole med establishment is just like every other industry...there in business to make money not to cure.
- 29 y/o male residing in Northern Virginia, US
- Indeterminate UC diagnosis in April, 2006 - symptoms came on sudden and drastic resulting in a year long battle to get things under control - symptoms are now stable
- Approx 8 mths into the ordeal a very painful fistula appeared - it is now stable but not completely healed
- Plan to get tested for Crohns in the short term future
- Completed 3rd Prednisone taper on 4/13/07 - tapered from early January 07 through mid-April 07 after being hospitalized from a bad flare with severe anemia & joint pain
- During Apr-May 07 suffered through 2 mths of a non-stop migraine which went away after remission was achieved- attribute this possibly to long-term Prednisone use
- Joint pain has cleared up but do have occassional minor arthritic pains
- Currently in remission and enjoying life again
- Started on 9 Colazal/day but have tapered that to 4 and plan to hold here indef.
- Supplements include daily multivitamin, Fish oil & Primal Defense Probiotics 2x/day