Posted 4/29/2008 1:16 PM (GMT -6)
Since the last week in March, I have been having some symptoms that are different and unusual to those I normally experience during a flare up. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts to what the following symptoms might indicate:
1. Lots of mucus in the stool
2. Small to no blood (blood slowed/stopped when I changed to a low residue diet)
3. 2-3 days with no bowel movement at all or one or two small pellet-like bowel movements every 2-3 days followed by one day with a moderate bowel movement where the stool is really narrow (just a little wider than a pencil).
4. Foul smelling flatulence and bowel movements (more than usual at least).
5. Abdominal cramping only after the 3rd or 4th day when my colon finally decides it wants to try pushing everything out.
The first thing that comes to mind is some type of stricture or narrowing of the bowel, or worse, some other type of growth that is hindering the normal passage of stool through the bowel. However, strictures are less common in UC patients, are they not?
I usually end up having to take a stimulant laxative after the 4th day of no bowel movement because the cramping gets too intense. I cannot continue to take stimulant laxatives like Senna, as my bowel is already too darn lazy. Osmotic laxatives like Lactulose give me horrible gas (and don't particularly work) and I have had little to no success with stool softeners like Docusate.
What can I do to get things going? I know the usual, lots of fluids, exercise, I've even tried Metamucil to no avail.
I hate to self diagnose, but could I be right in thinking it's a stricture? Does any one else experience "flares" like this?
I have been to see my GI regarding these symptoms and the plan is to do a colonoscopy, however the earliest scope date I could get was June 12, and I have no choice but to play the waiting game.