Pentasa and Asacol are both the same medication - mesalamine. They are just packaged differently. So, I would guess that your daughter should be fine on the Asacol if she was fine on the Pentasa. The active ingredients are the same.
I have never experienced any side effects from Asacol. My GI has always told me that it is, generally, one of the best tolerated meds for UC. Your Dr. is right. It is not systemic. It
opens in the large colon and deposits the medication accordingly.
Proud new mom of a beautiful baby boy!
- Asacol (4 pills, 3x per day)
- Rowasa (1 enema daily, as needed)
- Folic Acid (1 mg, 1x per day)
- Calcium (600 mg, 2x per day)
- Prenatal Vitamin (1x per day)