Would you take it or not?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 733
   Posted 5/27/2008 6:27 PM (GMT -6)   
I can't make up my mind.  about 2 weeks ago, I was feeling horrible and I had an appt with my GI.  He prescribed me 6MP and told me to start taking it right away along with my Humira since the Humira didnt seem to be helping... so I picked up my prescription, but that weekend I was so busy and I had to take Humira on Sunday so I decided to wait a few days till starting 6MP.  Well since then I am happy to say I am doing pretty well.  I haven't started the 6MP yet.  The only bad thing is that my hair is starting to fall out a lot.  Sooo, should I still start the 6MP or wait?  What would you do?  The GI said it takes 3 months for 6MP to kick in... Also I have heard taking it with Humira decreases risk of a reaction, but raises risks of Lymphoma.
Diagnosed with Left-sided UC in 1995 at age 15, Prednisone, Rowasa & Hydrocort. Enemas, Proctofoam, Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Probiotics, Fish Oil, Aloe Juice, Canasa, Enotcort, Colazol, Anamantle, Remicade, etc... had 1 inch deep rectal ulcer 2004, put on Remicade, August 2007:Increased Remicade dosage-700mg every 6 weeks,diagnosed w/ Psoriatic Arthritis & Fibromyalgia Current meds: Clorazepate, Lomotil,  Tylenol pm, Lyrica started 1/17/08,  Humira started 4/4/08

Eva Lou
Veteran Member

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 3442
   Posted 5/27/2008 6:37 PM (GMT -6)   
yeah, why not? I mean, yes the lymphoma risk is there, but it's quite small. Plus it's been found mainly in male pediatric patients on both tnf blockers & Imuran/6MP. I mean... look at all the meds you've been on since diagnosis, why stop at this one? Know what I mean?

diagnosed with UC '02
Asacol- 8 tabs/day
Remicade infusions
Imuran- 100mgs/day

Regular Member

Date Joined Aug 2005
Total Posts : 188
   Posted 5/27/2008 7:00 PM (GMT -6)   
I'm supposed to be on Imuran/6MP right now. My GI told me to start it a couple of weeks ago so I can get off my steroids. However, I've tried the Imuran 3 or 4 times now and it always gives me terrible stomach pain and I have to stop it. However, GI doesn't believe me, he just always says let's try it again. Anyway, I've been pretty good right now, so I'm going to try and get off my steroids one more time before I start this terrible drug.

Does your GI want you on 6MP because the Humira wasn't working at the time or does he want you on it as a double team?
I think you should at least talk to your GI again. You don't always have to listen to them (wish I could follow my own advice). It's your body, if you're not comfortable with something then that should be your choice.
Diagnosed with UC in August 2005. 
Suffered for my whole life before being diagnosed. 
Told to "Eat more fibre." 
Currently on:

Salofalk 1500mg x 4/day
6mg x 1/day
Entocort increased to:
9mg x 3/day as of 2.14.08

Scrap Girl
Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 653
   Posted 5/27/2008 9:27 PM (GMT -6)   
If you are doing a lot better than I would hold off on the 6 mp. I wouldn't start another life-long medicine unless you really need it. Also, you might try the high dosage of Biotin for the hair loss. This was Sherry's advice to me and it really seemed to nip things in the bud.
Diagnosed with UC in Feb. 2005
Colazal (9 a day)
Folic Acid

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, August 20, 2018 5:23 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,994,665 posts in 328,205 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161295 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, tuoidv.
240 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
asgdfdef6, JohnMorales, rpilot, gokuve