Lisa, unless you are SERIOUSLY immune compromised, you can eat sushi to your heart's content.
I eat it a lot, its great for UC people in general - very healthy, rice is great for you and the fish of course contains the Omega fats that we humans need.
Shashimi, the raw fish component of a sushi is fine so long as its fresh; though I will back seconder's comment with regard to avoiding raw fresh water fish.
My suggestions are simply stick to salt water fish unless its cooked, if its cooked no worries and eat at a clean reputable sushi place with a high food turnover (you do NOT want sashimi that has been sitting there all day).
I LOVE my sushi and would cry a lot if I had to give it up!!!
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." - Elric, Technomage
- 28yo male. Brisbane, Australia. Diagnosed at 16yo. Currently enjoying severe pan-colitis.
- Participating in the Golimumab trial as of 1st May, 2008;
- 2x Colazide, twice a day; 25mg of 6-MP a day; 1xAllopurnol;
- 1x teaspoon of Metamucil 3 times a day;
- 3x Garlic oil capsules & 7mL Olive Leaf Extract twice a day.