My mom was dx with UC in 2002 and until last october, she was really doing well on asacol. Problems escalated and here is the current status:
She was just hospitalized last friday, and released yesterday because of a high fever and real real weakness (dr. thought it may from the remicade)
After running several tests, dr. ruled out any infections. She was on NPO (no food by mouth) until tuesday when she ate a little bit (thus she has been having watery stools all throughout her hospital trip)
The GI Dr. decided to change up the medication: now she will be on asacol 8 tablets, prednisone 30 mg, imuran 75 mg (wanted to start off low b/c in the past she had lots of trouble handling 6mp), mesalamine enemas/hydrocortisone enemas (switch off every day, once a day), and remicade (4th infusion in august).
After she was hospitalized they immediately controlled the fever, and it never came back...UNTIL EARLY THIS MORNING, 12 hours after we got home. It was bad, 102.8, and she was feeling very very weak.
Does anyone have any advice for my mom or been in any similar situation? Any of your help will be appreciated.