So, I had my seizure Saturday morning. Looking back, I had been getting that "weird" feeling since starting the steroids. In my heart, I really think they caused the seizure. I mean, when you hear hoofbeats, you look for horses. The coincidence of no seizure for three years and then having one after starting medicine that lists seizures as "rare but possible" is just too much.
So, I called both docs on Saturday, but of course I had to talk to the docs on call. The doc from my GI place said to call my regular GI on Monday. He said it was possible that the steroids caused the seizure because of all the crazy things they can do.
The doc from my neurologist's office said he didn't think the steroids caused the seizure, but if I wanted to I could increase my seizure med by 25 mgs. However, he then ended the conversation with the "wait and see" line.
I called my GI doc this morning who said to talk to my neurologist first. The nurse said they had people with epilepsy on steroids before and they didn't have any problems. Well, sorry. My bad, I guess.
My neurologist is out of town until Wednesday. So, his secretary said she would talk to the doc on call - a different one from the one I talked to over the weekend. This doc suggested DOUBLING my seizure med from 200 mgs a day to 400 mgs. WHAT?????!!!!! So, one neurologist gave me 25 mgs or wait and see and another wants me to double it?
I am on board with upping my dosage. But I think doubling is a little extreme. So, I am going to call my neurologist again in the morning and ask the secretary to talk to him when he comes in on Wednesday.
What's with not being able to talk to the doctor? The neurologist's secretary is very pleasant, but I've got QUESTIONS! It's not much better talking to the nurse from my GI place.
I'm sorry - there's really no point to this post. It would just be really nice to have a plain answer, seriously.
Thanks for listening to my rant,
40 mgs of Pred
50 mgs of Imuran
1 Canasa at night