starting to flare, pred is my only option right now

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 2148
   Posted 10/28/2008 11:37 AM (GMT -6)   
uugh, so I have had some blood a few days after each taper then would go away, I got down to 2.5mg a couple weeks ago.  My Neph put me back up to 10mg of pred b/c my protein loss got worse a few days ago. 
I had been super gassy for a couple weeks and a bit of blood/urgency here and there and today I had mucousy blood w/my bm.  There is not a lot of it, but I can't hope/pretend it's all right anymore.
I wont go on remicade or humira yet, If I have to go on cellcept or cytoxan for my kidneys I would have to stop taking remi/humira and then would build up immunties and not be able to take them again, so the only thing left for me is right now is pred. 
I am going to wait to contact GI until tomorrow, I am hoping for a miracle.  I don't think the azathioprine is helping (obviously) so maybe when I come back I can try cellcept and see what that does for me? 
I am going to the UK in three weeks for work and do not want to be in a huge flare while there.
Maybe if they up my pred it will help both my diseases?  I am really looking at life in a weird way lately, thinking becareful what I wish for b/c I might not like the means to the outcome.  Which is stupid but..........
I need a vacation from all this!
Beth, 33 ~ hoping to taper pred successfully, wish me luck!
Major Flare Sept/Oct 07.  Flare May 08 (from aspirin?).
UC dx'd 03/00 Proctosigmoiditis; Pancolitis since 09/07
Azathioprine 200mg 1xday nightly; Calcium and Vit D 500mg 3xday, Multi Vit, Folic Acid 400mg 2xday, Prilosec, Probiotics.
Minimal Change Disease (Kidney Disorder) dx'd 09/07. Close to remission since 9/08.
Prednisone 10mg 1xday, Lipitor 10mg 1xday, Diovan 160mg 2xday. Tekturna 300mg 1xday, Fosomax 70mg 1xweek. MCD may be from hypersensitivty to 5ASA drugs.  Do you have edema? If so, check your blood protien level!

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 460
   Posted 10/28/2008 2:25 PM (GMT -6)   
Have you tried the steroid enemas (Cortenema)? You might have better results with less side effects.
Female, Age 37
Diagnosed w/c.diff 7/02 when pregnant w/1st and only child during 2nd trimester(wasn't on antibiotics)
C.diff flare within weeks of delivering baby 1/03
Diagnosed with UC 2/03
Current Meds:
75mg 6-MP
Cortenema as needed
Ferrex Forte
Sacchromyces Boulardii 

Veteran Member

Date Joined Apr 2006
Total Posts : 3402
   Posted 10/28/2008 8:53 PM (GMT -6)   
Ah Beth! So sorry to hear this...

What did your GI say? Can you try the steroid foam? I kind of liked the stuff when I used it earlier this year. It was an almost instant relief from the rectal pain I had.

I hope things give you a break soon!
Pan-colitis and GERD diagnosed May 2003
Osteopenia (hip and spine) diagnosed Feb 2006
Status:  Mild Flare
Asacol 12 per day,  Azathioprine 100mg, Aciphex, Forvia, and a probiotic
Remicade: 1st infusion 06/17/08:  Next infusion: 12/02/08
Last Prednisone dose:  7/15/08
Co-Moderator UC forum:  Keep HealingWell running smoothly:

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, September 24, 2018 8:02 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,264 posts in 329,320 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161825 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, TheRayf.
303 Guest(s), 5 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Sarge 83, cashlessclay, Admin, songlady, ddyss