Long story but will try to make it as short as possible!
I had severe diarrhea and pain in August that landed me in the ER
I had a CT scan done and they saw "significant" inflammation of the colon
Saw gastro and he put me on 40mg Prednsione and 12 Asacol a day
Diagnosed me with UC based upon symptoms and CT scan only.
Been doing great until I tapered to 10mg about 10 days ago
Went back up to 40mg prednisone and felt great within 2 days!
Saw dr. today and he wants me off prednisone ASAP - he wants to be able to reserve the use of it for flares only and is concerned about the long term effects.
So...I am finally having my long awaited colonoscopy on 11/20th
He is thinking of moving onto Remicade
My concern is that I have only been sick since August and am not sure if he is being "too aggresssive" with treatment.
We know I cannot take 6mp (i think thats what its called) because I do not produce the enzyme needed and it could cause a dangerous drop in white cell count.
So..... I am looking to see what your thoughts are if we are moving too quickly to Remicade as well as I would love to hear how you have responded to it.
Thanks so much for everyone's help and support...god knows I need it right now!
I am frightened, frustrated, sad and my head is spinning in circles!
Newly diagnosed August 2008
Currently on 15mg prednisone, 12 Asacol per day, Mesaline enema nightly,Multi vitamin, Omega 3 and Calcium
Realizing that disease is a real pain in the ass!
Mother of a 5 year old and 12 old trying to get through each day with a smile on my face!