I started taking Zoloft when the effects of UC became too much for me to handle mentally. I was very short-tempered and very stressed out. I don't know to what extent the Zoloft helped my symptoms, but it definitely helped me to mellow out a bit. As I'm sure you already know, a calm mind keeps the body calm.
I was just like Meesh, resisting taking antidepressants. Sometimes you just have to do whatever it takes to make yourself feel better. My doctor told me that only 5% of your seratonin is in your brain, and the other 95% is in your gut (who knew??); so it makes sense to take something to regulate the seratonin when you have gut issues.
And I just want to add, sometimes you've got to close the UC books and get off the internet (which can sometimes scare you more than help) and go read a funny book or watch a funny movie. If I've learned anything over the past year of having UC, its that you can't let it run your life and invade your thoughts. I know that sounds difficult when you're spending half the day in the bathroom, but sometimes you just have to shove it into the background to keep your sanity.
Good luck with your decision and let us know how it works out!!
Katie, 30. Chicago 'burbs.
DX: Pancolitis as of 9/08 (Proctitis as of 1/08)
Current Treament: Asacol 1200 MG 2X daily, Iron 325 MG 2X daily, Zoloft 50 MG daily, Multivitamin.
Diet/Exercise: Spinach/sunflower and low-residue. Yoga, walking, cardio.
Previous Treatment: Canasa suppositories, Cortifoam, Prednisone, Colazal, Symex DuoTabs, Rowasa, Bentyl, Cortenema.
Status: Heading to remission???