I don't expect anyone to really KNOW the answers - even my doctors don't. But - I went to ortho knee replacement surgeon today. He has no problem with surgery to replace my knee (ultimately both) taking prednisone BUT he was not sure about
the 6 MP or other immune suppressant. I started 6MP three days ago at 50 mg. I have appointment with gastro doc March 16. Surgeon would like letter to tell him I am on the 6MP, dose and what for with status of the UC. He impressed upon me the "risk" of infection and "catching anything like viruses, etc. which I am aware of. Of course, no one really know MY risk as it has not been tested. I do know that normally I rarely have an infection or have to take antibiotics, etc. I get maybe one or two colds a year. Knee surgeon says both my knees are really getting worse and it will be harder surgery and rehab, etc. the longer I have to wait. I walk with a cane or walker most of the time. I am extremely knock kneed from this!
Probably if my gastro doc says he thinks it will be ok - I will go for it - with every precaution they can give me. It is a small hospital and very experience ortho group, etc. Seeing surgeon March 23 for a decision.
Guess I have a lot to thnk about.
By the way, my gastro doc has never said anything about blood tests or anything in conjunction with prednisone or 6MP. Hmmmmm?
Senior - New diagnosed with proctosigmoiditis - 6/2008
Tried all mesalamines and enemas, Canasa, etc. Colonoscopy 10/28 showed only few cm. left to heal -hydrocortisone enemas 12 days - much worse. Cannot tolerate mesalamine!
2/3/2009 - sigmoidoscopy showed about 30 cm. involved but mild - starting on prednisone only 40 mg. taper on 2/7/2009.
Feb. 21 - down to 20 mg. - no blood, no pain, no bad side effects so far. Starting 6-MP Feb. 28 along with 20 mg. prednisone.
Probiotic Align, Prilosec for GERD