I just got back from my GI and we spoke at length about
what's going on. And I have to say I'm feeling more optimistic about
Remicade. Although I'm not entirely sure of how long the remission will last, it seems the chances of severe side effects are less than I thought and the chance of remission is greater than I thought. So I am definitely considering it now.
I have to go through a ton of tests and start on immuran in order to be applicable for Remicade. So that will start soon so that I can start the ball rolling and get on Remicade as soon as possible.
My doctor didn't receive my stool test results yet, meaning he still doesn't know if this flare is caused by some kind of bug or whatnot. And he still jumped to prescribing Remicade. Which was a little bizarre to me. I at least want to make sure I can't stop this flare with antibiotics before I start on Remicade or anything of the like.
Probiotics are being sold in food stores, drug stores, and vitamin stores. They are sold in the vitamin section. Doctors are prescribing them now. Someone on the forum might be able to advise as to the best ones to use. They work so well for me that I'm not particular as to buying the "best" kind.
Fecal transplantation is not voodoo. It's a medical treatment in which you put the good bacteria back into your colon. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy. If the bacteria take hold and multiple, then you have a good chance of going into remission. More than a small percentage get better. I large percentage get better. That is more than I can say for Prednisone, 6MP, and Remicade.
I will look into probiotics. It seems like it's too late for me in that I need to stop this flare pretty soon and get off the prednisone, but if it's something that I could use long-term to prevent a flare, I will definitely check it out.
Fecal transplantation still seems like a placebo to me. If you can provide any real data on remission rates I would be interested to see, especially if you feel it has a larger percentage of people who recover than prednisone or remicade.
Hi Fremen, have you thought about at least consulting a surgeon? Getting as much information as possible is key to making a decision. A consultation does not necessarily mean you have to go ahead with surgery. It sounds like you are living your life around UC rather than living life with UC.
I think that's a good idea. I was considering talking to a surgeon when I was not wishing to try Remicade. But I think you are right. It doesn't hurt to talk to a surgeon before I make that choice.
I probably do live my life around UC and not with it at least right now. I'm not sure if I seem like a crybaby but I try not to be. When I am not in a flare this bad my UC doesn't even enter into my life. I am unstoppable in my everyday life when I'm healthy. However, when I do get a bad flare my life does tend to revolve around it since it becomes such a big part of my everyday routine. Running to the bathroom constantly in pain and barely leaving the house for months does take a toll on me mentally.
My GI mentioned to me something about
me finishing my degree. And it shocked me because I at that point couldn't even imagine getting my degree. I can't imagine myself five or ten or twenty years from now. As most of you can, or as most of you can imagine your children. When I am like this it seems like all that could possibly be in store for me in the future is more pain. And I just don't see how that could last so long, nor do I see why I would want it to. It is strange how in two months I could go from being carefree and happy to being so emotionally drained.
Today I feel a little better though. It is difficult to explain. I am more optimistic but more frightened at the same time. When I was fairly certain that there was no hope at all, there was really nothing left to be scared of. Now it seems there are a number of ways this can go, and that will take a little getting used to. Maybe there is hope.