I'm still pretty new to the disease, but I've already been researching a lot about
the "what ifs," just so I don't have to make big decisions like this when I'm sick. I'm not criticizing you in any way, I'm just a planner!
Anyway, I've decided that if I end up being steroid dependent, I will use Remicade or one of the other biologics (if others are approved by that time) rather than screw around with prednisone indefinitely. I think the risks one takes by being on steroids that much are worse than the risks of using a biologic. There's some new info out that suggests Remicade can heal past damage to the colon that other drugs can't. And it sounds like there is a possibility that some people can use Remicade for a short time, then go off of it and back on to mesalamine or other similar maintenance drugs, especially if they use Remicade earlier on in the course of the disease.
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son.
Eased for ~3 weeks in December, possibly b/c of probiotic use?
Returned in January 2009 (with a vengeance), diagnosed with pancolitis on January 30.
Currently taking Asacol (400mg 4 pills 3x daily), Rowasa nightly, 40mg of Prednisone (quick taper), Culturelle probiotic, and Zoloft (25 mg).