I've been waiting now for more than three weeks to get Humira approved. I knew it might not be easy, since under our Rx insurance (Caremark) it is a "specialty pharmaceutical" that requires review and, of course, Hurmira is not approved yet for UC. I'm told that since I did not meet the Humira guidelines, it is going through a review process involving BCBS. I'm told there is nothing more I can do to expedite it, and I think the case manager is sincere in her efforts and we talk almost every day.
Any advice, or insight about how long I should let this drag on before I just do Remicade instead? For many reasons I would prefer Humira, not the least of which is that it is a less costly approach to treatment even if it costs ME more (I care about controlling health care costs in this country generally).
Should I do a Remicade infusion to get the ball rolling, then switch to Humira? I know I can ask my doctor, but it's on my mind right now and I wonder if anyone knows. This flare has been particularly draining on me and I'm eager to do something aggressive this time.
Appreciate any advice!
49 year old female attorney, diagnosed UC/pancolitis 1985, no surgery but much suffering. Asacol/5ASA 6x400 mg maintenance for 20+ years; use prednisone & Rowasa for flares.
August 2008 sought care of naturopathic doctor. Food sensitivity test showed wheat/gluten, other intolerances; eliminated all wheat/gluten from my diet. Probiotics (Ultimate Flora, 50 billion), trying Curamin.
Flaring, seasonal? or supplements too harsh? Back on prednisone, tried to taper but now back up to 20-30 after several really bad days. Waiting for insurance decison on Humira...soon...