If you are going for a jpouch consult here are some questions:
1. Do you do open or lapro surgery?
2. How many jpouch surgeries have you performed?
3. Do you have any jpouch patients my age that I could talk to?
4. Would you recommend a 1-2 or 3 step surgery for me?
5. What is the length of the hospital stay?
6. Who does my follow-up a year out from surgery, you or a GI?
7. Will I need help at home after surgery. If so, typically for how long?
8. What should I expect 6 weeks from surgery? 6 months? 1 year and 2 years out?
9. Does your hospital have jpouch support group meetings?
dx proctitis in 1987
dx UC in 1991, was stable until 1998
1998 started prednisone, asacol, pentasa, nortriptylene, ativan, 6MP, rowasa enemas and suppositories, hydrocortisone enemas, tried the SCD diet, being a vegetarian, omega 3s, flax, pranic healing, yoga, acupuncture, probiotics
2000 lost all my B-12 stores and became anemic
2001 opted for j-pouch surgery- now living life med-free