Pls suggest what should i ask my GI for?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

saposs
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 339
   Posted 4/29/2009 2:03 PM (GMT -6)   
My flare up after vaccination is not getting under control, i doubled up my Canasa dosage(as suggested on this forum) for 5 days and it helped but after i started single dosage flare increased - again back to mucus and constipation. I had to discontinue double dosage of Canasa as my doctor refused to give me renewed prescription of 2Xday till i visit her. So now i got an appointment for next month....till then i am on 1Xday dosage of canasa.

My question is: Is canasa the safest even if i double it? What if GI switches to Rowasa or any other. I wanted to try the safest medicine with minimum side effects first - i m still new to UC and want to avoid medicines with side effect as long as i can. Is rowasa beter or double dose of canasa 1000 ?

Thanks :-)
Right now -FLARING (after my Rubella vaccination)
Diagnosed in Jan'2009: Canasa suppositories 1000 nightly...doubled during flare
Symptoms: Mucus, blood, constipated (not always), Lots Gas & No D!
Also gifted with Hypothyroid & have calicum deficiency family history!
Meeting with Doc next month - not yet on oral medication - Doc wants to try just Canasa first!
Also started Probiotic from 23 Mar & fresh Turmeric root from 25 March'09


fruitgirl
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7150
   Posted 4/29/2009 2:08 PM (GMT -6)   
I don't think there'd be much difference in safety/side effects between Canasa and Rowasa as they are both mesalamine rectal meds. The Rowasa would reach farther in your colon as it's an enema and Canasa is a suppository, so if your inflammation has spread farther, it might be best to switch to Rowasa. The enemas can be harder to hold in for some people, but I haven't had a problem holding them at all. Some people have problems with Canasa and/or Rowasa, but this is probably because they're sensitive to mesalamine (if they can't use either one) or because they're sensitive to an inactive ingredient.
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son.
Eased for ~3 weeks in December, possibly b/c of probiotic use?
Returned in January 2009 (with a vengeance), diagnosed with pancolitis on January 30.
Currently taking Asacol (400mg 4 pills 3x daily), Rowasa nightly, Culturelle probiotic, and Zoloft (25 mg).


Ghena
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 31
   Posted 4/29/2009 2:12 PM (GMT -6)   
There isnt much difference b/n the mechanisms of Conasa or Rowasa. I feel that Rowasa would get further in so if u have the rowasa enemas try them as well. look into Specific Carbohydrate diet especially if u want to avoid medicines.
Feel well
Ghena 31
UC

Ghena
Regular Member


Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 31
   Posted 4/29/2009 2:13 PM (GMT -6)   
BTW what vaccinations did u get that u feel got you to flare?

saposs
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 339
   Posted 4/29/2009 2:20 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks for your replies. I didnt know that rowasa and canasa are both mesalamine. :-)

@Ghena: I took Rubella vaccination - till then canasa was great for me ! Now single dose is not working - i will try special carbohydrate diet as well.
Right now -FLARING (after my Rubella vaccination)
Diagnosed in Jan'2009: Canasa suppositories 1000 nightly...doubled during flare
Symptoms: Mucus, blood, constipated (not always), Lots Gas & No D!
Also gifted with Hypothyroid & have calicum deficiency family history!
Meeting with Doc next month - not yet on oral medication - Doc wants to try just Canasa first!
Also started Probiotic from 23 Mar & fresh Turmeric root from 25 March'09


notsosicklygirl
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 16744
   Posted 4/29/2009 2:25 PM (GMT -6)   
I was using Canasa 2x a day for a long time. My doctor didn't want me using Canasa at all but she renewed my prescription because I asked her to. I never told her I was using it 2x although I have seen people say that it is fine to use 2 a day. I think 3 a day is the max. It is topical. I don't think it causes any ill effects (just my opinion). I recently stopped using rectal meds all together, not by choice but it was necessary for a medical trial I will be entering. Fortunately my symptoms seem to be remaining minimal.
Diagnosed with proctitis in March 2007 - Treated with Canasa 2x Daily
December 08 - Began treating with Asacol 400mg (9 a day)


Dr-A
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 2105
   Posted 4/29/2009 3:00 PM (GMT -6)   
For those that can tolerate the rowasa they seem to work good, and are safe to use as maintenance. They just sometimes give me D, which isn't pleasant since we already deal with that.

Knowing what I know now I would never get a vaccine if I had an autoimmune disease or even a strong family history of them. Dr. Sears has a good book on the subject.
Proctitis DX 1999, Pancolitis DX 2008
Immuran
Golimumab study (100mg every 4 weeks)
L-Glutamine 5000 mg + 600 mg pyridoxal alpha-ketoglutarate
Probiotis/VitD3+Ca/1000mg DHA


saposs
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 339
   Posted 4/29/2009 3:42 PM (GMT -6)   
Cool silkygirl..good for u :-) How did u manage not telling your doc that you are taking 2Xday canasa- were you able to get 2 boxes of canasa in 1 month? .... as per my insurance i can get just 1 box (30 suppositories) in a month :-( How did u manage? - pls let me know... i ran out of my suppositories by the month end - and was without any canasa for a couple of days :-(

Dr.A: we are planning a family and my gynecologist said that rubella is a must if i am planning pregnancy. We consulted two doctors and they both wanted me to get rubella vaccination!
Right now -FLARING (after my Rubella vaccination)
Diagnosed in Jan'2009: Canasa suppositories 1000 nightly...doubled during flare
Symptoms: Mucus, blood, constipated (not always), Lots Gas & No D!
Also gifted with Hypothyroid & have calicum deficiency family history!
Meeting with Doc next month - not yet on oral medication - Doc wants to try just Canasa first!
Also started Probiotic from 23 Mar & fresh Turmeric root from 25 March'09


notsosicklygirl
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 16744
   Posted 4/29/2009 3:52 PM (GMT -6)   
She wrote me a prescription for 6 months at a Canada Pharmacy. I ordered 3 months worth at once. It's a lot cheaper in Canada, it's called Sallofalk. After, I noticed Axcan had a patient assistance program in the US for Canasa. I asked her if she could fill out the paperwork and send it in to the local pharmacy. That gives me one free box per month. I still had the Sallofalk so I was able to use 2 a day without running out. Recently I was able to taper down to one Canasa a day, then to none a day... Now I am just using Asacol. If I flare I will go back to using Canasa - one or two a day. It all happened by accident but the Canadian Pharmacy was never instructed to only give me one box a month. They just had on file that I was allow 6 boxes over the next year. I guess when you don't deal with insurance you can get whatever you want... turn
Diagnosed with proctitis in March 2007 - Treated with Canasa 2x Daily
December 08 - Began treating with Asacol 400mg (9 a day)


Dr-A
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 2105
   Posted 4/29/2009 5:06 PM (GMT -6)   
saposs said...
Cool silkygirl..good for u :-) How did u manage not telling your doc that you are taking 2Xday canasa- were you able to get 2 boxes of canasa in 1 month? .... as per my insurance i can get just 1 box (30 suppositories) in a month :-( How did u manage? - pls let me know... i ran out of my suppositories by the month end - and was without any canasa for a couple of days :-(

Dr.A: we are planning a family and my gynecologist said that rubella is a must if i am planning pregnancy. We consulted two doctors and they both wanted me to get rubella vaccination!


Yeah, it was mentioned for my wife but vanderbilt's mid-wifes didn't push it. We also reasearched risks vs benefits for it. The hospital did try and push a tetanus shot post delivery, but we just denied it. Look into that book from Sears. You probably know who he. Son is on that show "The Doctor's". Great for anyone getting ready to go down the wonderful road of a new baby. Some good info on his site to just on baby stuff.
Proctitis DX 1999, Pancolitis DX 2008
Immuran
Golimumab study (100mg every 4 weeks)
L-Glutamine 5000 mg + 600 mg pyridoxal alpha-ketoglutarate
Probiotis/VitD3+Ca/1000mg DHA


saposs
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 339
   Posted 4/29/2009 7:40 PM (GMT -6)   
Dr A, thanks! i will definitely read book by Dr Sears. I wish i had not taken that vaccination - 1X canasa was doing great for me! My gyn. said they will not go ahead with any tests till i get Rubella vaccination :-( they really scared us with " abnormal child" etc etc... we were scared!
Right now -FLARING (after my Rubella vaccination)
Diagnosed in Jan'2009: Canasa suppositories 1000 nightly...doubled during flare
Symptoms: Mucus, blood, constipated (not always), Lots Gas & No D!
Also gifted with Hypothyroid & have calicum deficiency family history!
Meeting with Doc next month - not yet on oral medication - Doc wants to try just Canasa first!
Also started Probiotic from 23 Mar & fresh Turmeric root from 25 March'09


saposs
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 339
   Posted 4/29/2009 7:42 PM (GMT -6)   
yes! silkygirl... i had a tough time without medication during a flare up. Next month hopefully i will get prescription for 2 Xday !
Right now -FLARING (after my Rubella vaccination)
Diagnosed in Jan'2009: Canasa suppositories 1000 nightly...doubled during flare
Symptoms: Mucus, blood, constipated (not always), Lots Gas & No D!
Also gifted with Hypothyroid & have calicum deficiency family history!
Meeting with Doc next month - not yet on oral medication - Doc wants to try just Canasa first!
Also started Probiotic from 23 Mar & fresh Turmeric root from 25 March'09


jujub
Elite Member


Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10407
   Posted 4/29/2009 9:48 PM (GMT -6)   
I've had several immunizations (pneumonia, tetanus, flu) since diagnosed with UC, and never had a problem with any of them. I guess if it came to that, I'd rather deal with a UC flare than tetanus.
Judy
 
Moderate to severe left-sided UC diagnosed 2001.
Flared for 5 years, finally in remission with Remicade since March 2006.
Avascular necrosis in both shoulders is my "forever" gift from steroids.
Colazal,  Remicade, Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri. 
"My life is an ongoing medical adventure"
 
.


Christine1946
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 5975
   Posted 4/30/2009 7:51 AM (GMT -6)   
     Personally, I've had better results with the Cort enemas than Rowasa.
62 yr old granny. South Jersey
Diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis in 1998 in hospital
Hospitalized (2nd time) in May 2008
Update 11/03/08...finally in remission!!  Hope I don't jinx myself.  Off the prednisone since 11/01/08...now see if I can stay off for longer than two weeks.  Other meds: 6MP (75 mgm), colazal (6 per day), Benicar and Toprol (high blood pressure meds), Probiotic (2 per day), fish oil capsule and multi-vitamin and calcium with vitamin D.


Lonie
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 6448
   Posted 4/30/2009 8:31 AM (GMT -6)   
I just had a tetanus shot a couple of months ago...I had no effects but a little bit of a sore arm. I get my annual flu shot too...same thing, nothing much than a sore arm afterwards. I think it's best to consult with your doctor (face to face) on these matters and come up with a plan for your personal health.
Carol

Remicade - will have my 27th infusion on March 19 Vitamin B-12/Biotin, Probiotics
 
Co-Moderator for the UC Forum
 
 


saposs
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 339
   Posted 4/30/2009 12:21 PM (GMT -6)   
Maybe vaccination and flare up together was a coincidence.... i had flu shot as well but it did not give me any problem. I will definitely talk to my GI abt this next month. Will keep u posted what my GI says. Thanks
Right now -FLARING (after my Rubella vaccination)
Diagnosed in Jan'2009: Canasa suppositories 1000 nightly...doubled during flare
Symptoms: Mucus, blood, constipated (not always), Lots Gas & No D!
Also gifted with Hypothyroid & have calicum deficiency family history!
Meeting with Doc next month - not yet on oral medication - Doc wants to try just Canasa first!
Also started Probiotic from 23 Mar & fresh Turmeric root from 25 March'09


fruitgirl
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7150
   Posted 4/30/2009 12:25 PM (GMT -6)   
Really, there's no way to really know if the vaccine caused the flare or not. I mean, it's not like you'll need to get another rubella vaccine to see if it happens again! That's what's frustrating in figuring out cause and effects in humans, IMO, as I do plant research. With plants, it's easy to get a population that's genetically identical and subject them to all sorts of things to figure out what treatments do (and it doesn't matter if the treatments kill them). That's impossible in humans!
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son.
Eased for ~3 weeks in December, possibly b/c of probiotic use?
Returned in January 2009 (with a vengeance), diagnosed with pancolitis on January 30.
Currently taking Asacol (400mg 4 pills 3x daily), Rowasa nightly, Culturelle probiotic, and Zoloft (25 mg).

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:25 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,727 posts in 329,385 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161849 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Michael007.
179 Guest(s), 9 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Michelejc, JayMot, 81GyGuy, Michael007, ks1905, ddyss, UCer23, Aerose91, iPoop