Took son 17 to the GI today due to loose/blood in stool. It is looking like this is hopefully just going to be a mini-flare. Son did not see blood yesterday and thinks seem to be firming back up a bit, and hasn't even had to go to the bathroom yet today!
Doctor knew son has been battling horrible headaches frequently and asked about
the headaches again and again mentioned stopping Sulfasalazine (this was mentioned at appt. in May). At least this time he recommended Lialda in it's place instead of no 5ASA at all. He really thinks we need to do this to see is the Sulfasalazine is the cause of all the headaches.
Son did have a couple weeks almost headache free, but they returned last week. We tried Ultram/tramadol and it didn't do much at all. GI says we need to stop chasing the headache with another med. and see if Sulfa is the cause since it has such a strong reputation for causing them.
Son has been on Sulfasalazine for 7 years now - hard to make a change, but I feel a bit better replacing it with something verses just dropping it altogether. He wrote an Rx and left it up to us.
Son is game - he is tired of the headaches and also liked the sound of a once per day med.
What do you all think?
If we go this route, do we wean off Sulfa and then on to the Lialda or just go cold turkey on Sulfa and start the Lialda?
Do we wait a few more days and make sure this is indeed just a "blip" and not a full blown flare, or start now regardless?
I hate decisions!!
If we do make the change, what and when would be the best way?
What do you all know of Lialda?
Thanks so much!!!!
Mom of Son 17 UC dx 07/02, Sulfasalazine 6g, Azasan 75mg, Cortafoam (when flaring), folic acid, L. Reuteri, Culturelle, Zyrtec, Iron, Vit/Min
Daughter 10 UC dx 08/07 Colazal 750mg x 3, 6MP 12.5mg, Iron, Vit/Min., Culturelle
Post Edited (keylime) : 6/1/2009 1:56:20 PM (GMT-6)