Elevated Liver Panel, etc.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 610
   Posted 6/4/2009 10:27 AM (GMT -6)   
I've followed some of the liver discussions here, and I'm hoping some of you liver folks might have some suggestions.
My liver panel has been slowly creeping up for the last year or so, and it went above the standard range in. . . February or so.  At this point they are not markedly out of range but they are substantially elevated compared to previous tests -- tests from a year or so ago -- and they have stayed high over subsequent testing.
The cause could be a number of things, further autoimmune disease, side effect of medication, symptom of uc.  My GP wasn't particularly concerned until he saw that the number had not fluctuated down over the course of many months.  He asked me to see a GI with uc/ hepatology experience, which I did yesterday. 
The GI doesn't know if it's something to take seriously not, so naturally he ordered more tests.  He wants more blood and and an MRCP.  He also mentioned biopsy and ERCP -- which I will refuse. 
All that to aks this:  Do I really need to bother with the MRCP right now? 
(I am sooo sick of seeing doctors and not getting much benefit from it.)

Elite Member

Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 30976
   Posted 6/5/2009 2:54 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi....absolutely have the MRCP done! plus the other blood tests will lead the doc as to what's going on.

Yeah, I refused the ERCP too....and will do so unless I have a blockage.

You need the MRCP...it's not an invading test....but you will have to do the breathing, holding, etc that's requested. I purchased a copy of mine...very cool..and yes, it's visually PSC, but my blood tests lean toward PBC.

Other autoimmune test results of mine seem to lean toward the liver disease rather than something else to add to the list...as per my recent visit with the rheumatologist.

It's best to continue with the testing that won't create other possible problems....I was so relieved the MRCP became an option.

*Heather* Status: mild flare enemas tapered to every 3rd night
~diagnosed January 1989 UC (proctosigmoiditis)
~UC meds: Asacol (3 x2 daily); Salofalk enemas nightly for flares & taper to maintenance 
~Bentylol (dicyclomine) 20mg as needed; Ranitidine (reflux);  Effexor XR 75mg(depression);  Pulmicort/Airomir (asthma) 
~vitamins/minerals/supplementsProbiotics....(Natural Factors Protec, Primadophilus Reuteri Pearls). @ bedtime
~various digestive enzymes as needed
~URSO for PSC (or PBC) 500mg X 2 daily (LFTs back to NORMAL!!)
My doc's logic.. "TREAT (FROM)BOTH ENDS"  worth it !!!

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 610
   Posted 6/5/2009 9:13 PM (GMT -6)   
Thanks for the information, Quincy.  Your advice helps tip the scale in favor of having the MRCP, but I think I'm still inclined to wait and see.  I see my GP before I have to make a decision, so I'll ask him, too.
I would be very relieved to have MRCP as an option over ERCP -- for sure.
Always helpful, Quincy.  Thanks again.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, September 19, 2018 12:04 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,518 posts in 329,151 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161743 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, worldmicroblade.
272 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details