1. When can I taper off of this Prednisone? (I've been on 30 mg in the am and 10 in the pm since 5/20)
Ummm, I don't know! I'd see what your GI has to say on Wednesday.
2. Should I be taking more Asacol (right now 3 pills 3 x per day)
I do 4 Asacol 3x per day, so 12 total. I don't see why you couldn't be on more.
3. Or should I have another 5-ASA so I don't have to take so darned many pills? (Lialda?)
I am going to switch to Apriso (also a 5-ASA) as soon as my Asacol runs out. I just got it refilled and didn't want to waste it. I'm switching so I can take fewer pills per day. Plus, they have a program (not based on your financial situation) that will reimburse you up to $50/month for your copay. So, since mine is only $35, I won't be paying anything for it!
4. If no Remicade, why not Humira?
I'd definitely ask about Humira!
5. In his letter, he mentions 6-MP. When might I start that?
I dunno....from things I've read, I'd probably rather to Humira before 6MP.
6. Should I try probiotics like VLS#3 DS (the prescrption strength)
Yes, I would.
7. Should I try the Specific Carbohydrate diet or some other particular diet?
It depends on if you think you can do it. Personally, I think I'd hate being on the SCD. And so far I haven't found that food effects my UC.
8. What next? Just from the tone of the letter, it just sounds like it might be hopeless for me...do I schedule to see a surgeon when I am actually feeling halfway decent right now? Do I want until I try to taper off these 'roids and "flare" badly again. I am just so stressed about this whole thing!
Have you ever used rectal meds, if not, get some!! I don't think you need to consider surgery yet. It sounds like you have a lot of meds to try yet.
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son.
Eased for ~3 weeks in December, possibly b/c of probiotic use?
Returned in January 2009 (with a vengeance), diagnosed with pancolitis on January 30.
Currently taking Asacol (400mg 4 pills 3x daily), Rowasa every other night, Culturelle probiotic, and Zoloft (25 mg).