Hi I'm new here,
I started having problems last August, had a sigmoidoscopy last November and finally got diagnosed in February with proctitis, got put on mezavant and ended up hospitalised not long after though as i'd gone from 3-4 toilet trips a day to 12! I was in hospital for 5 days whilst they tried to get it under control, they moved me off mezavant and on to asacol which seemed to have the same effect so they ended up putting me on prednisolone and once things had started to improve sent me home to await a full colonoscopy when it had settled a bit.
Had the full colonoscopy in May and it turns out i actually have pancolitis (which left me very confused as to how they thought it was just proctitis alone in the first place).
They decided to try me on another 5asa (pentasa) to hope i didn't react to this one, lasted 3 days on it before i was back to having 8/9 toilet trips a day so i took myself off it as with 3 young children i really didn't want to be hospitalised again. After discussing at length with my consultant it has been decided that for whatever reason i can't tolerate mesalazine so the next option is to try azathioprin (125mg to start?).
Now after being told i need blood tests weekly for the first 8 weeks to check my white blood cell count doesn't drop so low it could end up killing me if i got an infection that scared me enough but now after reading the leaflet and all the side effects and things i can't take with it i'm actually terrified of starting it!
I do not want to end up feeling worse than i already do with the u/c, i've had them for 2 days now and am still putting off taking them. Are they really as bad as the leaflet says they could be? Does anyone know other options i might have now mesalazine is definately a no?
I asked my gastro nurse what if these don't work and she wouldn't commit to an answer, all i got was well we will discuss that if it happens...
Sorry i've gone on for so long x
Post Edited (flufumps) : 7/9/2009 2:11:49 PM (GMT-6)