Thanks for your response Qwerty...are you still fatigued after a flare-up? I am just getting over a flare-up and that is when the aching and fatigue started. I can't remember having it this bad with my other flare-ups. It's nice to hear that some people understand...my husband is clueless and thinks I am trying to get out of cooking dinner at night!
Well I haven't ever properly been out of a flare to be honest, I have been having symptoms for over 2 years now, diagnosed 18months ago. They just haven't got me sorted on the right medication etc yet! But I've been having feelings of fatigue for the entire time, however its got considerably worse as the actual disease has got worse, and as I've been put on stronger meds.
Like I said in my previous post it is my worst symptom and the one that gets me down and interrupts much of my life. I can't handle working full time at the min, and don't do anything much other than go to work. Some things I have found helpful though are...
- Planning out my days/week - ie don't plan too much in one day but spread it out. And if you do have a particularly busy day (even if its doing something you enjoy) make sure you leave adequate time to 'recover' and rest.
- Make sure your days off are in fact days off' and not spent doing too much.
- Take vitamins and make sure you eat the right foods - fruits and veg etc.
- Drink plenty of water
- Sounds obvious but get as much sleep as you can.
- Not sure what your job is but if possible try and split your breaks up - ie I work in retail so am on my feet much of the day...I tend to try and have a short break every 2 hours.
Hope thats some help! :)
23 year old female, from the UK. Diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis Jan '08. Hospitalised Jan '09 for 3 days IV Hydrocortisone - had no effect! Hospitalised Feb '09 for 7 days (5 days - IV Hydrocortisone)
Currently taking daily:
5mg Prednisolone tablets (tapering), 100mg Azathioprine (started taking 11th May),1g Acetarsol suppository, Asacol suppository (alternating nights)1g Mesalazine granules x 2
Motilium (anti sickness), 1.5mg Zopiclone (taken when needed for sleeping), 10mg Citalopram (anti-anxiety), Probiotic Multivitamins, Nutren Build up drinks.