Oh wow, your husband is JUST I was 5 years ago ... Ringworm and all (also had athlete's foot, ringworm in scalp, and lung infection that spread to my pericardium/heart, yuck). I was on 5ASAs, Flagyl, Prednisone (60mg, then 40mg for a while until tapering), some other UC drug (which I now forget since I was so delirious from blood loss at the time), and multiple drugs for the ringworm ... Nizoral/Ketoconazole and Diflucan were the oral drugs I remember, the creams did nothing.
After the drugs stopped working and the bloody D continued at 20-30X per day, the doctors wanted to remove my colon. I decided I was finished with the doctors after they refused to consider the benefits of alternative treatments or diet modifications. I didn't step foot into a G.I. office after that for 5 years, fathered 2 kids, got promoted at work, started running, and never felt better. Here's was my approach:
Immediately (the day I last left the doctor's office):
- Slept/rested. A LOT
- Went on a water-only fast for first 4 days ... I felt that my body was rejecting food, not itself. It's hard to poop 20X a day if you're not eating. This gave my colon a rest, and I mostly slept. My heart infection made it easier to perform the fast since I was already laid up and off work. I had given up on Docs, so I didn't discuss this with mine. While difficult, it was IMMENSELY helpful ... the first day is the toughest, after that I felt a bit out of it, but very in touch with my surroundings. Almost a spiritual experience. After I came off the fast, I still had D, but the blood had subsided and the frequency was about 5-10/day (which at the time was a miracle for me). Once I started implementing other diet changes, things got even better
For next few years:
- Cut all gluten and most dairy from my diet, started eating more low carb cooked veggies
- Added a sugar-free psyllium-based fiber supplement to my diet (initially pure powdered psyllium fiber from the internet)
- Cut back on sugars/carbs (but did not eliminate them entirely)
- Added a good probiotic (Culturelle worked well for me) and took 9 1200mg fish oil capsules daily
- Fast for 24-48 hours every month or two.
This approach worked really well for 5 years, although near the end of the 5 years (this past November), I found that I needed to eliminate almost all carbs to retain the same results. Also, within the first year my ringworm slowly cleared up on its own, I had 2-3 solid bathroom trips per day, and no stomach pain.
Now, here's what I found interesting ... I decided to get a colonoscopy 2 months ago to make sure I didn't have any growths or other issues (it had been over 5 years). The doctor said my colon still showed signs of inflammation, although it was much better than before. He recommended that I restart drugs to see if that would allow me to expand my diet. I figured "why not", and told him I'd try for 12 weeks (I'm not at 6 weeks). I have followed his recommendations of Asacol and now Entocort while eating more carbs/sugars (but no wheat and little dairy). The interesting part is that the drugs seem to be doing nothing as my D has come back (~10X per day) ... and so has my long-thought-gone Ringworm!!!
33 year old male
diagnosed severe pancolitis in 2004, unresponsive to all drugs
turned down recommendation to have j-pouch surgery
have been mostly symptom free since 2004 via diet modification (removed all carbs)