Crianor - Welcome to Healingwell! Sorry you had to find us, but we're glad you did! There are lots of caring and knowledgeable people here.
I am pretty sure that if I were to have a major flare again that I would pursue the surgery route. I am currently on many meds, including Remicade.
I find that the more you know, the less scary things are. I would suggest a consultation with a surgeon to see what your options would be if you decide to go for surgery.
Remicade is also an option, but can take a few months to reach full effectiveness.
Late last year I went back on Effexor after tapering off earlier in the year. I found that my anxiety was causing more gut problems than I wanted to deal with. Within a few weeks of starting back on the Effexor, I felt much better (and my hubby didn't mind me losing the mood swings).
I hope you find something that works for you!
Pan-colitis and GERD diagnosed May 2003
Osteopenia (hip and spine) diagnosed Feb 2006
Lialda 4 per day, Azathioprine 50mg, Aciphex, Effexor XR, Forvia, Fibercon, and Culturelle
Remicade: 1st infusion 06/17/08: Next infusion: August 19
Last Prednisone dose: 7/15/08 (Hooray! I made it a year!)