getting jpouch surgery soon, just got laid off from blue cross blue sheild =(

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

ruissarr
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 80
   Posted 8/13/2009 10:11 AM (GMT -6)   
soooo, our whole dept found out yesterday that we are all gettin laid off soon, i was in the process of scheduling jpouch surgery next month, not sure if thats a possibility now=( depends on how long severence pay i get and if that includes health insurance, it stinks, i had such great insurance working here at BCBS! surgery was going to be paid for 100%, anyone have any advice on what to do after i am laid off?
i know i will get unemployment, but what about insurance? oklahoma has sooner care but i dont know if i would qualify yet... just starting my research..

 


24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
 
starting back on at least one remicade IV to see if i can get some relief next week,
most likely having j-pouch surgery this year, within a couple months, so i can be healthy for my baby, meet with my dr about it august 10!

Post Edited (ruissarr) : 8/13/2009 9:31:23 AM (GMT-6)


NiRo
Regular Member


Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 198
   Posted 8/13/2009 10:15 AM (GMT -6)   
I think cobra is a possibility, but I have heard it gets expensive...
Lialda 4x a day
Rowasa Enema 1x at night
Align (Probiotic) 1x a day
Fish Oil 4x a day
Multi-Vitamins (includes B-12, Vitamin D, Vitamin C) 1x a day


Peety
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 2855
   Posted 8/13/2009 10:20 AM (GMT -6)   
Seems it would be worth paying for COBRA -- it will be the same insurance -- to get through the surgery. The government has a new program that makes it less expensive for you. Can you get the surgery sooner rather than later?

Be careful about discussing your situation with your employer. It may change what severance you (and everyone) gets if they know you have an expensive surgery planned. That's being paranoid, but I already don't trust the insurance industry!

Keep in touch --
49 year old female attorney, diagnosed UC/pancolitis 1985, no surgery but much suffering. Asacol maintenance for 20+ years; used prednisone & Rowasa for flares.  Probiotics (Ultimate Flora, 50 billion), salmon oil (omega-3) when I can remember. 
August 2008 sought care of naturopathic doctor. Food sensitivity test showed wheat/gluten, other intolerances; eliminated wheat/gluten from my diet.
Bad flare in March, used prednisone. Humira denied, started Remicade 4/12 and doing great~ learning what normal is~ wow


fruitgirl
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7150
   Posted 8/13/2009 10:22 AM (GMT -6)   
Start looking for a new job ASAP, and make sure that your coverage doesn't lapse (do COBRA or something), or else you might get denied for future policies based on a pre-existing condition. I agree it might be good to get the surgery done quickly, as well. Good luck!
Status: Remission since May 2009!
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son.
Diagnosed with pancolitis on 1/30/09
Currently taking Apriso (4 0.375g pills ONCE!! daily), mesalamine enema twice weekly, Natural Factors Ultimate probiotic 12/12 Formula, and Zoloft (25 mg).


Nutz
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 149
   Posted 8/13/2009 10:33 AM (GMT -6)   
When my company did layoffs they extended full insurance coverage for a whole year. This was in the pharmaceutical industry so maybe BCBS will be similar. I agree with the others as far as planning your surgery sooner if it's an option.

ruissarr
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 80
   Posted 8/13/2009 10:42 AM (GMT -6)   
wow thanks for the quick replies! i am still waiting at my desk to find out when my last day will be, just got some good news tho, i think i will still be employed till jan 1st, not sure yet...that would be great tho...i called the surgeon and set up an appt for consultation aug18, i was planning on getting the first surg, and then waiting till after baby was born jan25, 2010 and getting the takedown surg after that...but if i can do it, i will do both this year, surely i can be recovered by january if i have the takedown in november??

oh and i did check on cobra, for my hmo it would be about 1300.00 a month!! cheaper than surgery, but i will just hope i dont need that =)


24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
 
starting back on at least one remicade IV to see if i can get some relief next week,
most likely having j-pouch surgery this year, within a couple months, so i can be healthy for my baby, meet with my dr about it august 10!


Probiotic
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 2832
   Posted 8/13/2009 11:00 AM (GMT -6)   
Yeah Cobra would surely more than pay for itself in spades in your situation- eg pay a couple thousand or so and get $60,000 or whatever in surgery (and any post surgery issues) fully covered- I wouldn't hesitate to pay for Cobra if I lost coverage (always a fear in this jobless recovery) - not to mention to bridge the gap until you get on some other plan.
Pancolitis >20 years, allergic to all 5ASAs
(To pharma: enough already with the umpteen variants of Asacol!)
Tried everything under the sun (natural and alternative), low carb SCD
Some partial success with TSO but  too expensive to keep up 
Remicade Humira, lots of probiotics, entocort, tapering increasing pred again,
homemade fecal infusions, hookworms, maybe surgery this year REAL soon
 
 


ruissarr
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 80
   Posted 8/13/2009 11:06 AM (GMT -6)   
peety, where can i find the info about getting government help with cobra??
24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
 
starting back on at least one remicade IV to see if i can get some relief next week,
most likely having j-pouch surgery this year, within a couple months, so i can be healthy for my baby, meet with my dr about it august 10!


Peety
Veteran Member


Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 2855
   Posted 8/13/2009 11:15 AM (GMT -6)   
It was in the stimulus bill, the employer would pay 65% and get reimbursed by the government. Unless you work for certain non-profits not covered by ERISA. Your HR people will know about it. Google COBRA and Stimulus.
49 year old female attorney, diagnosed UC/pancolitis 1985, no surgery but much suffering. Asacol maintenance for 20+ years; used prednisone & Rowasa for flares.  Probiotics (Ultimate Flora, 50 billion), salmon oil (omega-3) when I can remember. 
August 2008 sought care of naturopathic doctor. Food sensitivity test showed wheat/gluten, other intolerances; eliminated wheat/gluten from my diet.
Bad flare in March, used prednisone. Humira denied, started Remicade 4/12 and doing great~ learning what normal is~ wow


ruissarr
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 80
   Posted 8/13/2009 11:20 AM (GMT -6)   
got it! thats great information!! you guys are so helpful!
24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
 
starting back on at least one remicade IV to see if i can get some relief next week,
most likely having j-pouch surgery this year, within a couple months, so i can be healthy for my baby, meet with my dr about it august 10!


Dr-A
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 2105
   Posted 8/13/2009 11:21 AM (GMT -6)   
You should still get your health coverage during severance (just depends on company). Then pick up the cobra. It is dirt cheap for 9 months with the stimulus that went into affect. After that we may be able to get insurance anyway with our pre-existing conditions depending on what happens with the health bill. If not and you want UC covered, either get a job with group plan or exhaust the cobra for 9 more months and pick up a private policy. After 18 months of cobra the pre-existing clause doesn't apply.
Proctitis DX 1999, Pancolitis DX 2008
Golimumab study (100mg every 4 weeks)
L-Glutamine 5000 mg + 600 mg pyridoxal alpha-ketoglutarate
Probiotis/VitD3 5000IU+Ca/1000mg DHA


ruissarr
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 80
   Posted 8/13/2009 2:24 PM (GMT -6)   
ok so i just found out i will be here till january, which means my health insur will end january 31..that should be enought time to get both surgerys and recover huh?
24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
 
starting back on at least one remicade IV to see if i can get some relief next week,
most likely having j-pouch surgery this year, within a couple months, so i can be healthy for my baby, meet with my dr about it august 10!


fruitgirl
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7150
   Posted 8/13/2009 2:32 PM (GMT -6)   
Who really knows! A lot of it will depend on the surgeon's availability and how quickly you recover from the first surgery. And just remember that babies can come early! My son was born three weeks early (if he'd been born one day earlier he would have been considered premature) and I'd had a perfectly healthy pregnancy with no risk factors for early delivery.
Status: Remission since May 2009!
Symptoms began in November 2008, ~4 weeks after giving birth to my son.
Diagnosed with pancolitis on 1/30/09
Currently taking Apriso (4 0.375g pills ONCE!! daily), mesalamine enema twice weekly, Natural Factors Ultimate probiotic 12/12 Formula, and Zoloft (25 mg).


ruissarr
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 80
   Posted 8/13/2009 4:12 PM (GMT -6)   
ya, i just got my labs back earlier and my liver is fine, and no anemia, so hopefully the surgery will be a go...gosh, what a stressful day, we have been waiting all day to find out when we will be laid off only to find out they are going to tell us tomorrow for sure..
24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
 
starting back on at least one remicade IV to see if i can get some relief next week,
most likely having j-pouch surgery this year, within a couple months, so i can be healthy for my baby, meet with my dr about it august 10!


sirenshooter
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 2012
   Posted 8/13/2009 11:58 PM (GMT -6)   
Maybe you'll also get lucky and have the baby be a bit late like I was--ten or eleven days, maybe a bit more. Buy you some recovery time! hehe. I had two teeth lol. Hope everything works out! Good luck!
19yr old female diagnosed with UC (pancolitis) in 2005 at age 15
125mg Azathioprine 1xday / 1 Mesalamine enema every night /
2000mg Fish Oil 1xday / 500mg Turmeric 3xday /
450mg Boswellia 1xday / 400IU Vitamin E 1xday
Arthritis in both knees
Also: asthma, acid reflux, and Reynaud's Syndrome


notsosicklygirl
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 16710
   Posted 8/14/2009 12:10 AM (GMT -6)   
I would deifnitely pay for the COBRA for a few months so you can get through the surgery and heal. You can probably collect unemployment and get COBRA, get your surgery over with and heal while looking for work. I hope you work things out before the baby comes.


Diagnosed with mild proctitis in March 2007: Treated with Canasa (as needed)
December 08: Began treating with Asacol 400mg (9/day) + Canasa 2x/day - Anemic
May 09: Off Canasa, taking Asacol (9/day)
Back on Canasa every other night + Asacol (9/day) + Probiotics + Iron
Reducing to 6 Asacol/day + Canasa + Probiotics + Iron - So far so good!!! -SPOKE TOO SOON! Back to 9/day...


suebear
Veteran Member


Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 5698
   Posted 8/14/2009 8:46 AM (GMT -6)   
Definitely get COBRA. In the event you have post surgical complications you want to ensure you are covered.

Sue
dx proctitis in 1987
dx UC in 1991, was stable until 1998

1998 started prednisone, asacol, pentasa, nortriptylene, ativan, 6MP, rowasa enemas and suppositories, hydrocortisone enemas, tried the SCD diet, being a vegetarian, omega 3s, flax, pranic healing, yoga, acupuncture, probiotics

2000 lost all my B-12 stores and became anemic

2001 opted for j-pouch surgery- now living life med-free


AmyWaffle
Regular Member


Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 173
   Posted 8/14/2009 10:42 AM (GMT -6)   
How sucky is that to get laid off! I feel so bad for you! What a scary time to possibly lose your insurance. Because having babies is expensive, not to mention j-pouch surgeries!!
Good luck and be sure not to lapse, as other people have also mentioned! I paid whatever I had to on COBRA last time I was between jobs because I would be so screwed if I ever got denied for previous condition.
UC since 1996 (age 20)
Mommy of 2 sweet little girls.

Asacol (12/day)
Azathioprine (175 mg)
Prednisone (currently 80 mg)
Rowasa nightly
Immodium daily
First Remicade 6/22/09 [discontinued 8/12/09, not helping]


RH_Texas_Gal
Regular Member


Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 367
   Posted 8/14/2009 8:38 PM (GMT -6)   
Do the COBRA ... I am on it right now and you are guaranteed the cheaper rate based on the new bill passed for 9 months before the rate jacks up. I have UC too and insurance through COBRA is about $120 per month right now just for me (i'm in Texas and it's a PPO plan thru United Healthcare). This will buy me time to find insurance on my own ... do not let it lapse or you will definitely be denied when you seek out your own insurance.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:17 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,305 posts in 329,132 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161736 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, jjmck2.
240 Guest(s), 14 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Michelejc, Mind body spirit, pam lewellen, behzad12, TAD4207, countess18, auzzie, Girlie, Missouri, chewbetta, InTheShop, quincy, camogirl, Deejavu