it was pretty quick actually, for the last few years my dr has asked me if i would consider the surgery, but i said no, cause i didnt think i was that bad and it scared me..
i probably would never have decided, but we are having our first child, and i have been thinking alot...one, i miss ALOT of work, which it is protected by FMLA but still its money i dont make, i am tired of just living with the pain everytime i sit down in the restroom...me and my wife were talking and EVERY trip we have gone on together i have been sick in some way, last year i had pneumonia for 2 months and missed work the whole time, and i threw up everything i ate, all related to UC..but the biggest thing is, i want to be healthy for my baby, i dont want to be a sickly dad who is always reserved and wondering when i will flair again;
i am getting a tiny nervous now that its a sure thing and we are just waiting on the day to come, in about
3 weeks...but i am going to stick with my decision, especially hearing how people, including one of my friends say this surgery was the best decision they ever made and they kick themself for not doing it sooner =)
24 year old guy, UC since I was 17
remicade for two years, worked OK but got married and was told it could cause birth defects so I quit feb 08. my wife reminded me that i still had D most of the time while on remicade.
Wanted to start a family Jan 09 so dr stopped 6mp, wife got preg in may so I am back on 6mp also lialda and 20 mg pred
j pouch surgery is scheulded for sept 11, 2009!