My flare got so bad that my GI admitted me to the hospital on Monday for IV steroids. Originally, we were going to do a bowel rest with TPN but have decided against that. I had another colonoscopy yesterday (along with one 4 weeks ago) and it already showed a few more centimers of disease on the left side. I am now up to 60cm of diseased colon and want to take this thing out already. I have my surgery scheduled for October 5 but may move it up sooner depending on how soon I can get off of the steroids and back into remission. My GI does not think I am a candidate for surgery. He said that in his 30 years of practicing, someone with what my disease shows on a scope, mucosal sloughing and left sided involvement, I should be managed medically. He wants me to try Humira or Cimzia but I have tried Remicade in the past and had an allergic reaction the second time around. I have taken 6MP, ALL of the 5ASA's, all of the enemas, etc. I am done with this. I'm waiting to discuss things with my surgeon again. I stopped my 6MP on Aug 22 because my surgeon wants me off meds for surgery. I stopped the Lialda on my own but think that maybe I should get back on that to have something for maintenance. Does anyone know if Lialda would be an issue if having the j pouch? I will ask the surgeon as well. Also, does anyone know off a good taper to not go back into a flare? I was on Prendisone 30mg from July 30-Aug22 or so. I upped the Pred to 40mg oral until I came into the hospital on Aug 24. Since Aug 24, I have been on 60mg IV solumedrol which is helping I guess. I'm not sure how they are going to taper me off cuz they want me on the lowest dose possible before surgery. However, I need to make sure that I don't relapse and get worse again- ugh! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys.
Diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis 1999, changed to Ulcerative Colitis 2002. Currently taking 6MP 50mg, Prednisone 30mg, Lialda 2 tabs/day, Colocort enemas, Canasa suppositories