I hope you get more time to decide on surgery - but as Sue said some peoples case is so serious that that is the best option.
I got my surgery after a 3.5 year flare - after becoming unable to work - after suffering long term blood loss and its effects - and like you I had a constant high pulse, which towards the end sometimes got up to 170-180 and I had to rush to ER, ect.
For me the time I had it was a nightmare, but I know without a doubt that I needed surgery at the end.
I would trust what they tell you at the Cleavland Clinic - I gather they are the experts at this.
Read as much as you can about
all the available drugs, including Remicade and surgery so that you can weigh up your options.
I hope you get a chance to put this in remission first and get time to think.
I choose surgery over Remicade - but then it was contraindicated for me due to neurological problems and I know some people have excellent results on it, and many people try it before surgery.
If you need the surgery - I have just been through it and can tell you that although its tough - it has changed my life for the better and I would do it again in a second.
Good luck to you whatever you decide :)
Diag proctitis 97 - major flare and extension to left sided colitis Aug 2006 - present.
I bled every day from Aug 2006 (I quit smoking in June 2006) to Jan 2010.
Imuran (Azathioprine) game me liver damage. LDN no luck. Asacol and mesalazine enemas - seemed to make worse. Lots of Prednisone :( No luck on drugs!
JPouch, total colectomy and ileostomy (part 1) completed Jan 2010 :)
Takedown (part 2) April 15 2010.
UC no more!!!