A quick update on my situation:
- 5-ASA meds have stopped working for me. Did take Asacol for 6 1/2 years, but it is no longer working, so I am weaning off of it.
- 6-mp did work for me (provided wonderful relief), but then I had side effects. I posted on here as I was going through those. So, I had to come off of it.
- Now flaring again and GI put me on Prednisone 40 mg to get it under control while I make my decision about next step - either Remicade or J-Pouch surgery. As was the case with my last flare in August 2009 (the one where everything took a significant turn for the worse and went downhill), the Prednisone is doing nothing. Prior to this last flare, it would put me back in remission in 2-3 days, and I would do an 8 week taper and be better. Now, this is not the case.
So, I need advice from all of my wonderful colleagues in this fight against UC and have a few questions.
(1) Did Prednisone stop working for you (i.e. did your UC become refractory)?
(2) Did the 5-ASA and 6-mp meds stop working for you as well?
(3) If so, what was your next step - Remicade or surgery?
Thanks in advance for your help!