6 weeks ago I was in a bad flare and put myself (with my GI's ok) on 20mg pred which calmed things down after a few days. I then did the usual taper of -5mg per week down to 0.5 mg for the last week. Things weren't too bad at that stage (avg 4 bms).
I then tried to see if a nightly Salofalk (Canasa) suppository would help me stabilize and maybe help as a maintenance drug with the long term goal of getting off Azathioprine.
Well that turned out to be a massive mistake, the morning after the first supp. was absolute murder, probably the worst flare I've had since the outset of UC in '06. I had 15 bm's.
Being a stubborn sort, I decided to persist with the supps for two more days which turned out to be be two more days of pure hell. Averaging 8 bms lots of blood and more constant numbing rectal pain than I can recall ever suffering before. I stopped them of course.
I'ts clearly obvious I'm severely allergic to 5 ASA drugs.
I was forced to revert to 10 mg pred for a few days with no relief whatsoever (still 8 bms etc) after a few more bad days I upped it to 15 mg on Sat morning and still no joy.
My question is, would I be better off biting the bullet vis-a-vis the known pred risks, and opting for a higher pred dosage say 20 or even 30 mg to pull me out of this painful dilemma?
Any response will be welcomed.
Post Edited (Mackster) : 10/17/2010 10:17:02 AM (GMT-6)