Welcome to the forum Mike.
i am absolutely not in favor of surgery as i heard i will just be going more than i am now and i am holding out for better/alternative treatments and therapies.
I hear you. I tried the usual route (see sig), but when the doc told me it was time for 6mp/remicade or surgery, that's when I bolted and found my own way.
I think it's a real testament to your will power, staying on the SCD diet! Are you still on it now?
Here's what's worked for me:
1) Diet is key for me: I do the SCD diet, and I am very, very careful with food combining, because if you mis-combine it creates havoc! Here's some info on it: http://cureforulcerativecolitis.com/step-1-methodology-to-eating
2) Adding L-Glutamine 15 grams - for colonic repair.
3) Adding slippery elm bark powder - 1 tablespoon mixed in a little water, 3-4 times a day - IMO it is the equivalent in nature to the 5asa's.
4) Probiotics are key. If you can get your doc to write you a prescription for VSL#3 DS - that would be better, stronger, and probably cheaper ( IMO 3 x per day at least) than buying VSL#3.
5) Drink lots of good water.
6) Get your vit. d and b12 blood work done, to see if you are deficient.
7) SCD diet - specific carbohydrate diet - many have had lots of success with it. If you can't do it because it's so strict, at the very least do dairy free, wheat free, gluten free.
8) start a food journal and see what correlations come forth
9) There's a great app for keeping track of your symptoms, diet, meds, etc...
10) Do some research on LDN - low dose naltrexone, you can search this forum as they are several threads on this. I can tell you it works!
Here's the Penn State research done by Dr. Jill Smith with LDN and Crohns Patients.
11) Adding rectal meds. Are you on any rectal meds like canasa suppositories or rowesa enemas?
12) You may want to add liquid vitamins/minerals to make sure your stomach does not have to do the work of breaking them down, and hence not absorbing them.
13) Also, I've been supplementing with good quality whey protein - Dr. Mercola's Pro-Optimal Whey, which I make with almond milk ( you can see from my sig).
14) Astaxanthin is a great anti-inflammatory
Good luck, and I hope you start to feel better soon.
Let us know how we can help you.
Dx - UC 09/2010.Tried various Mesalamine enemas/suppos/pills with Prednisone for several rounds without any help.SCD Diet of proteins,veggies,salads, fruits, & protein shakes w/almond milk, Liquid Minerals& Vitamins,Maca powder,L-Glutamine 15g, D-Ribose 5g,L-ArgEthylEster,chia seeds,VSL#3,K2,VIt. D3 100,000 IU every 10 days.Canasa suppos. as maintenance.Transdermal LDN put me remission!