Jorge, welcome to the forum, and sorry for your UC diagnosis. It sucks!
I'd like to share with you things that have helped me:
1) Diet is key for me: I do the SCD diet, and I am very, very careful with food combining, because if you mis-combine it creates havoc! Here's some info on it: http://cureforulcerativecolitis.com/step-1-methodology-to-eating
2) Adding L-Glutamine powder 15 grams - for colonic repair. If you have urgency and Diarrhea issues, then you'll have to take a teaspoon of L-Glutamine powder mixed in a little water on an empty stomach, and that will help you tremendously.
3) Adding slippery elm bark powder - 1 tablespoon mixed in a little water, 3-4 times a day - IMO it is the equivalent in nature to the 5asa's and is more much effective than all mesalamines.
4) Probiotics are key. If you can get your doc to write you a prescription for VSL#3 DS - that would be better, stronger, and probably cheaper ( IMO 3 x per day at least) than buying VSL#3.
5) Drink lots of good water.
6) Get your vit. d and b12 blood work done, to see if you are deficient.
7) SCD diet - specific carbohydrate diet - many have had lots of success with it. If you can't do it because it's so strict, at the very least do dairy free, wheat free, gluten free.
8) start a food journal and see what correlations come forth
9) There's a great app for keeping track of your symptoms, diet, meds, etc...
10) Do some research on LDN - low dose naltrexone, you can search this forum as they are several threads on this. I can tell you it works!
Here's the Penn State research done by Dr. Jill Smith with LDN and Crohns Patients.
11) Adding rectal meds. Are you on any rectal meds like canasa suppositories or rowesa enemas?
12) You may want to add liquid vitamins/minerals to make sure your stomach does not have to do the work of breaking them down, and hence not absorbing them.
13) Also, I've been supplementing with good quality whey protein - Dr. Mercola's Pro-Optimal Whey, which I make with almond milk ( you can see from my sig).
14) Astaxanthin is a great anti-inflammatory
Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.
Let me know how we can help you.
Dx - UC 09/2010.Tried various Mesalamine enemas/suppos/pills with Prednisone for several rounds without any help.SCD Diet of proteins,veggies,salads, fruits, & protein shakes w/almond milk, Liquid Minerals& Vitamins,Maca powder,L-Glutamine 15g, D-Ribose 5g,L-ArgEthylEster,chia seeds,VSL#3,K2,VIt. D3 100,000 IU every 10 days.Canasa suppos. as maintenance.Transdermal LDN put me remission!