I have a specialist's appointment Tuesday morning that will decide what my next step is. Currently I am on prednisone (30mg, tapering 5mg every 4 days) and Salofalk 1000mg nightly. I had a colonoscopy on June 14th and was diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis. I had a sigmoidoscopy this past Wednesday which showed my ulcer is not healing. The good news is that is hasn't spread or gotten worse. The medications I'm on are pretty much maintaining it.
The specialist that did my recent scope suggested Imuran and I told him I want to wait before trying something like that. I also asked if it was possible to use Remicade and then he said Remicade is usually given with Imuran. I want to exhaust all options before opting for Imuran and/or Remicade.
The only supplement I'm taking is L-Glutamine (just started today). I'm 4+ bowel movements with mostly formed stool but blood sometimes comes out leaking or like in rock-shape. The leaking blood is worse in the morning and stops after 1-3 stools.
If you were in my position, what would you do? I'm considering starting up LDN and other alternatives. My dad doesn't like the idea of Remicade because you are required to get it every 6 weeks. My dad and I conflict on treatment and it's really hard on me. I like my dad, of course, but his views on conventional treatment are bias and he favours alternatives while I don't care what I have to take. I just want to get better.
Since I was awake during the sigmoidoscopy I got to ask questions to the specialist. He said surgery shouldn't even be in my mind right now. He told me that I don't want a bag. My thinking was 'no colon, no problem